• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Wouldn't NGC label a clear Overdate on my 1818/7 Bust Half Dollar?

9 posts in this topic

I received my half dollar today and was dissapointed to see the overdate, which is clearly seen on the coin, was not on the label. I am wondering why or how they didnt label this clear overdate. The coins serial number is 3053499-001, and the fair market value for a regular 1818 xf40 is 216, where the overdate FMV on an xf is 390. That is a big difference for a clear overdate. Could someone please explain why or how this happened and what I can do to fix the issue. Thanks for all your help.

I imagine that you either have to pay for the variety plus attribution or if there are some that they do automaticaly you probably have to indicate the variety on the submission form. hm

I agree with James. Call Customer Service and arrange to have the mistake corrected. You'll probably have to pay shipping one way but NGC might even cover that.

Lance.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

If the coin is not clearly submitted as an overdate, it may not be spotted by the graders, who are under no obligation to look for varieties. We will label it as a generic 1818/7 if so indicated by the submitter, but we will add the specific Overton number only under VarietyPlus service. You can have the variety added under Designation Review service at $10 without going through a regrade.

If they miss something as obvious as an 1818/7 overdate, that doesn't give me much confidence in what else they've missed, Dave. That's one of the clearest and most obvious overdate in early US coinage - no magnification or special knowledge required to spot that one.

I agree with James. Call Customer Service and arrange to have the mistake corrected. You'll probably have to pay shipping one way but NGC might even cover that.

Lance.

Or you could take it to the next major coin show where NGC has a table and save yourself the shipping costs.