• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newfoundland 1900 20c Would it make a VF?

8 posts in this topic

My obsession with Newfoundland coinage keeps me busy always looking for the unusual and interesting. I recently received this coin and will submit it in a few weeks to NGC. I am curious as to what ya'll might grade this beauty. I tried to photograph the coin and could not get any of the toning to come out. I gave the coin to HiHoAudio and he came very close to capturing the outstanding iridescent tones this coin has. Although it’s close the pictures do not do justice to the unique coloring this coin exhibits.

Do you think it would make a VF?

106541.jpg.0d20d29571c7b6e1e62c7ddfafd38341.jpg

106542.jpg.e8305194532742390f4a17d51332833d.jpg

Its a beautiful coin but would be borderline vf. May be too many dings and scratches. I love the colour of this coin. I have a little 1942 5c in a PCGS holder that is the same.

Its a beautiful coin but would be borderline vf. May be too many dings and scratches. I love the colour of this coin. I have a little 1942 5c in a PCGS holder that is the same.

I agree; I think you would receive a "no grade" for the scratches.

I'd be happy with a details graded coin. Most Newfoundland coins are like this one. Well not the color but the amount of circulated wear with scratches. Much of the coinage minted for Newfoundland saw heavy circulation because most folks did not trust the banks so they relied on hard coinage. There are certainly SOME proofs around, and SOME mint state coins but they really are the exception to the rule. If one is going to collect the Newfoundland series one needs to accept coins with wear and damage. I actually love a coin with wear because to me it's got character. An interesting note is that when looking up these coins in say the Charlton book take a look at the years 1876, 1881, 1882 they don't even list values for AU or better because none have been seen or graded. Granted the book I have is from 2006, I just looked at NGC census there’s ONE MS-61 1882-H. Get my drift? And a couple AU’s in the 1876. Thanks for the feedback!

Jim

This coin was an absolute pleasure to photograph.

It taught me a thing or two about capturing toning which until now has totally eluded me.

This coin was an absolute pleasure to photograph.

It taught me a thing or two about capturing toning which until now has totally eluded me.

Congrats on some nice photos!