• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1872 Two Center - green stuff & grade? and svdb's:)

7 posts in this topic

thinking about sending this one in.. what do you think? should i soak it in acetone first? grade? (shrug)

DSCN1592-1.jpg

DSCN1588-1.jpg

2c the thing on the obverse, right lower leaf is just a hair..

oh, and do you think this svdb is worth sending in? hm

DSCN1608-1.jpg

DSCN1611-1.jpg

this one is not... (tsk)

DSCN1598-1.jpg

DSCN1600-1.jpg

:hi: thx

As for the 2Cent, acetone will do nothing for the verdigris. You may have NCS try to conserve it. As for the VDB-S, I would have it slabbed at least to make sure it's authentic. Looks like it to me. Btw, I see no reason for either coin not to grade unless NCS cannot conserve the 2Cent, but they are pretty good. They will at least slab it as authentic also.

I'm not sure how grading is with a little verdigris. It may be bodybagged for environmental damage, and it may not look as bad in the pics and get graded. There are some members that I'm sure will chime in that is more familiar with grading circumstances.

I would grade the two cent piece VG to Fine (VG-10) for sharpness. Despite that fact that no "WE" is not visible in the motto. The technical grade is probably choice Fine given the sharpness of the shield, and the "WE" was probably lightly struck from the beginning.

As to "grade for value" I'd say that it's worth VG money with the environmental damage. The date 1872 is very tough in this series and a collector who was looking for a decent circulated grade set built on a budget would be happy to find this piece at the VG price. If the stuff can be removed from the reverse without damaging the piece, it would be worth Fine money IMO.

Back when I was working a set of Two Cent pieces in EF and AU, the best circulated example of this date that I could find had EF-AU sharpness, but it too had green stuff on the reverse, which ruined it for me. :( I eventually bought a Mint State example (MS-64, brown by today's standards) in those days where slabs did not exist.

I built the Two Cent set during the madness of 1979-80 when coin prices were through the roof just about everything except circulated coins like these Two Cent pieces. It solved my collectors' urge at the time. I later sold all of the set, except for the 1870 which I kept for old time's sake. It was a full EF example with a weak strike. The "WE" would have worn off of that piece very quickly had it circualted very much.