• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newfoundland 1888 10c - Re-Punched 8? Is there such a thing?

6 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

For 30 years I've been trying to complete or at least come close to completing a Newfoundland set, which is tough due to the low mintages of some years such as this one. The 1888 10c has a total mintage reported as 30,000. I recently came across and purchased this coin and upon receiving the coin and inspecting it I noticed what looks like a re-punched 3rd eight. The Charlton book does not show any variety of this type and was wondering if anyone had any information on this. I am aware of certain varieties on some of the dates of other denominations but not this one. There is a distinctive 8 under the 3rd 8 on the inside of the upper circle and on the outside of the lower circle. Any ideas? Could this be just some type of planchet or strike flaw?

106395.jpg.8a1f5f4aae8559347b031d26d323cf80.jpg

106396.jpg.ca642ae1a945173404d3b2471b8cb696.jpg

I have never heard of this before. There is an 1880 8/7 but if it is repunched it looks like it would be a new variety.

I've never heard of it either, the problem with this particular date is there are just so few of them around it's tough to find any to compare them. I have actually seen a nice 1880 8/7 at the last Philadelphia coin show and almost bought it but the guy wanted stupid money for it and would not budge on the price, so I passed. There are a few other Newfy nuts on the board maybe one of them might be able to shed some light on it.

Jim

With a mintage of 30K, there is also the possibilty that all came from the same die and they all have that repunching. Sometimes in cases like that they don't bother to mention the "variety" since they all come that way.

Very good point Conder101, but how would one go about finding out more about the coin if there are so few of them floating around? Other than the Charlton book are there any other reference materials available on Newfoundland coinage? I can only go by what I find on the internet and the Charlton book. The whole series of Newfoundland coins just fascinates me and has since I was a boy. My Grandfather who was born in Newfoundland and immigrated in 1927 to the US gave me a handful of Newfoundland coins when I was a lad and I have been obsessed with the series ever since.