• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McKinley Dollar

27 posts in this topic

I agree with Michael and Ray that it would most likely end up in a DETAILS holder, however you never know.

The 1917 is the rare date and I would absolutely send it to NGC to be certified. Easily a $500 coin as-is in my opinion.

Its a great coin but it has had a hard life and would get a details holder at best.

You have to ask yourself do I want to slab this coin or just enjoy it as it is?

Either way it is a coin I would be proud to own :luhv:

I think that it would get a grade of AU-50. I don't see any reason why it would not grade. The scratches noted are consistent with a slightly used coin. As such it is unusual because most all of the survivors are Choice to Gem Uncirculated.

If it's for sale, then I think it needs to be certified. It looks hands-down genuine to me, though I still think only AU, but the reassurance of authenticity offered by certification is compelling.

Yes, there are fake McKinley gold dollars out there (this type, the 1916-7 coins). They were noted in the Breen - Swiatek commemorative coin book years ago. Given that I think that this coin could benefit from certification if you are looking to sell it.

It looks like a clash to me, although I've not seen enough of these coins to say for sure. I've only been looking at them during the past year. The mintage was low for these and a lot of them are P-L. Still a clash could have happened sometime during their production.

I think that most all 1917 McKinley dollars are P-L. The mintage was very low, and the dies to not make enough impressions become worn. My 1916 McKinley is P-L as well.

1916, PCGS MS-65

McKinley1916O.jpgMcKinley1916R.jpg

1917, PCGS MS-64

1917McKinleyO.jpg1917McKinleyR.jpg

Around Ohio, is that clashing or grafitti?
Upon closer inspection, the line is a scratch, not a die clash.

That was my fear. They may construe that as graffiti if they feel it was put there intenionally.

I doubt it was put there intentionally, but even the smaller scratches near "Memorial" were a bit of concern to me. That's why I posted this to begin with.

Having seen quite a number of these, I don't recall any clash marks to speak of. And as some have mentioned, nearly all tend to be slightly prooflike to fully so. I described one designated PL by NGC not terribly long ago.

very very choice unc. if not gem unc. with great eye appeal!!

but unfortunately will not grade out due to the post mint damage to the left of the first M in memorial