• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Conder token suitable for certification?

Is this Conder token suitable for certification?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is this Conder token suitable for certification?

14 posts in this topic

I recently sent ten Pidcock’s Exhibition Conder tokens to NGC and nine of them came back very accurately graded in my opinion. I was more than satisfied.

But NGC rejected one token, a rare D&H-446, as NOT SUITABLE FOR CERTIFICATION. Granted, it has been harshly cleaned and has an enormous planchet crack but it is genuine. An ugly duckling for sure, but genuine nevertheless. It's actually one of my favorite Conder tokens. It has.....personality.

Here it is…

Pidcocks-446-1.jpg

446-comp.jpg

Pidcocks-446-2.jpg

I want it in an Edgeview holder so I can display it in my Pidcock’s Exhibition Registry Set. I don’t mind a GENUINE holder. I don’t even mind if NGC adds “exceptionally ugly”. But to banish it like a leper because it’s imperfect just isn’t right.

Please vote.

If I get enough positive votes perhaps NGC will reconsider and certify it. If I get more negative votes I promise I’ll shut up.

Thanks!

I've certainly seen much worse in NGC detail holders such as early date US copper that looks like it was dragged under a car for a mile.

The cleaning is a shame, but no apologies needed for the planchet crack. I think the planchet flaws are amazing.

Thanks WCG. The cleaning will self heal in about 50 years and the cracked planchet looks like a lightning bolt on the Nylghau (antelope) side. Pretty cool!

That's two votes. :whistle:

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with being too ugly for certification - it has more to do with they might be afraid that putting it in the holder will damage the coin. The pressure from the prongs may shatter a fragile planchet, or the vibrations from the ultrasonic sealer. I know there are certain compositions of coins they will not holder for this reason (ceramic coins come to mind).

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with being too ugly for certification - it has more to do with they might be afraid that putting it in the holder will damage the coin. The pressure from the prongs may shatter a fragile planchet...

Good point. I just checked the token and it's doubtful it would shatter or bend from the Edgeholder prongs. I would certainly be willing to take the chance.

Four votes! :whistle:

I don't understand WHY they (NGC) would not at the very least make a determination as to it's authenticity and slab it as details. I some times think the good folks at NGC are asleep at the wheel. And I agree with worldcoinguy, I most certainly have seen worse looking coins in slabs. I in fact have a few Newfoundland coins that look like they have been stomped on, but they are in an NGC details holder. Call them up and ask them "What’s the deal Mcneal!"

By the way those are some excellent pictures of a beautiful coin!

Jim

HiHo, did you have any luck getting it in a holder?

I have quite a few new Conders and Schutzenfest medals to be sent to NGC but my spare time is VERY limited these days and realistically I doubt I will be able to get to it until mid February at the soonest.

If and when it does holder I will post a photo here in addition to adding it to my Pidcock's Exhibition Custom Set.

Nine votes! :grin: