• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Those Asking for the Values of Coins:

4 posts in this topic

Recently, we have had a large number of newer members starting topics solely to ask the value of their coins. Many of these threads show no pictures, merely list a date, type, possibly a grade, and ask the value.

To these new members: We cannot give you a value without first knowing what the coin looks like. The slab may say MS-65 or PR-66 or whatever you have - but values could vary by hundreds or thousands of dollars within the same grade, depending on the coin. We just can't tell you without seeing the coin. So first - show us pictures!

Secondly, our board members will quickly get tired of answering the same type of question. I understand many of you are new, inquisitive, interested, and don't really know what you are doing in this hobby yet - and that is fine! We love new members! New people bring new discussions and new coins, which we love. We love the challenge of solving a puzzle, we love the thrill of helping less knowledgeable or experienced people out. But, we also want to give you the resources to help yourselves. This is why I am going to tell you how to answer the question for yourself. The old Chinese proverb goes - give a man a fish, and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and feed him for life.

There are a large variety of price guides available, both free and paid. Paid price guides which I would recommend include the Red Book (more of a guide to coins - the prices are generally out of date), Coin Values magazine (generally decent retail prices, if a bit high) and the Grey Sheet. Free guides, which I'm sure you are more interested in: www.numismedia.com (the price guide used on the NGC Registry), and http://www.pcgs.com/prices/ (prices are a bit high, but PCGS guys swear by them). The best overall site for getting an idea of the value of your coin is to sign up and join (for free!) at www.ha.com and use their extensive auction archives to find a coin similar to yours. Chances are, more often than not, our reply to a post of this type is going to be to direct you to one of these websites.

So, by all means, ask your questions, tell us your stories, start new discussions. But please, if its a simple "What is my coin worth?" question, try and find an answer for yourself first. If after this, there is something about your coin you don't understand, or you have a question - ask away! But remember, without a good picture, or sufficient information, we really can't help you.

Don't apologize: this post is meant in the friendliest possible manner! I'm just helping you guys out, by telling you exactly how we would go about answering your question so that you can do it for yourself :hi:

Nah! Jason has always tried to be very helpful to everyone, and I agree with him wholeheartedly. Actually, if he didn't like you, he would probably nuke you. At least that is what he said he'd do to me.

Chris