• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This overload of quarters is the end of money as we know it posted by Thane

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Who else thinks hundreds of circulated quarter designs in a couple decades is just TOO MUCH?

Greetings collectors,

I just waved the magic loupe over a couple rolls of Grand Canyon quarters (thanks, Kerry!) ... and I've got a few thoughts.

1. Putting a design of a bunch of rocks on a coin made of metal ripped out of the ground is not my idea of great coinage. Next time, the mint (errr, Congress) should choose FACES, BUILDINGS and ANIMALS, please!

2. Grading a design of a bunch of rocks that have eroded for centuries is difficult for the human brain. Nicks join the design itself.

3. Recessing the complete text of the reverse makes this look even more like a medal, play money, or (worst of all) a British pound.

4. We're the collectors, so we're the last ones to figure this out. But, for the rest of Americans (or the world), aren't they getting tired of all the latest in their pocket change? LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO BASEBALL CARDS. Topps wasn't good enough. But a few Fleer Ultra and High Definition and splintered bats woven into the card, and the hobby drowned in its own superfluity.

5. When will NGC (or another service) begin using computer imaging, a la facial recognition software, to grade coins? That would be a shame for all the Morgan tone monsters out there deserving an MS65 despite their scratches; but I don't see how the human eye can pick apart rocks from scratches on this Grand Canyon quarter in ten seconds.

And finally, a question - these rolls seem especially satiny. Does the mint dump their satin seconds into circulation? Share or overlap certain dies or production techniques between satin and business strike? I've noticed plenty of other satins in circulation, the trend has increased in the past decade, but then why have satins been around longer than the mint has put them in mint sets?

The photo comes courtesy of statequarterguide.com

7933.jpg

See more journals by Thane

I was told by a Coin dealer a few years ago that PCGS had bought a patent that contained the software for computers that can grade coins. I was leaded to believe that they will not release or develop this software for fear of the TPG companies such as themselves will be out of business. So I have been told.

I have to agree with Thane that we are being overloaded with design changes from the mint. Is it really a useful addition for collectors or is it simply another method for the Mint to make a profit? We've had in the last 12 years -- the fifty state quarters, the presidential dollars, the Jefferson nickels, the Lincoln cents and the SBA/SAC dollars. When combined with bullion coins, commemorative, clad sets, silver sets, special sets, first day issues, etc. it's all a bit too much. Where does the collector draw a line?

Myself, 2010 is the last year that I'll be buying mint and proof sets. After all, I'm still 195 coins short of completing a 1946-2010 collection and have about 1200 raw coins that need to be TPG graded. That is more than enough to keep me busy for a couple of years.