• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where To Begin.. posted by Mikey101

2 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Mercury Dimes?...

Ive been thinking to myself where to begin there are sooo many places to start. i have alot of mercury dimes that I acquired from my grandfather. but he had nothing certified. just not sure where to begin.. Any thoughts?

See more journals by Mikey101

A lot of the newer classic coins (like Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes) seem to be worth collecting, $$$-wise, only in high-grade. In other words, for many dates, AU is worth no more than VG.

Old, dusty collections can be treasure troves. Toning to the quick eye can look like XF or AU when the coin might actually grade GEM FB. Or perhaps varieties have been discovered that weren't known 30 years ago - I fell into collecting Type B 25c reverses (c. 1956-1964) this way when I reexamined a quarter I'd had for decades.

If the collection itself has sentimental value, I'm sure you'll do with it what emotionally and financially you can afford. If you can sell and trade your way to other coins, or to focusing on one area of a collection, you might position yourself for better long-term value, easier resale when you need to (or when you die, because honestly, most of us collectors are packrats who leave nothing but trouble to our heirs ...), and just a collection that means something to more people than just yourself.

Whatever you do, keep it posted and keep in touch. The registry here is a great way to do that! So's the journal - there are quite a few here who keep us posteds on their non-certified collections with stories and photos.

For ideas on how to honor past relatives who got you started on collecting, browse some of the past winners of "best presented" registry awards. This category is also just a great way to see how other people really focus and present their collections.

Thane