• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nasty 1909-S VDB, is it beyond hope.

4 posts in this topic

I realize that this is probably the most asked question on the forum, but here goes anyway.

Is this coin beyond hope or can NCS help? It’s been mentioned to me that the red on the obverse cannot be removed or changed and the verdigris on the obverse may or may not have caused any actual damage, but I’m willing to see if the coin’s eye appeal can be improved to the point of being slabbed by NGC.

http://1messydesk.com/misc/Nasty_1909-S_VDB_obv.jpg

http://1messydesk.com/misc/Nasty_1909-S_VDB_rev.jpg

Corrosion issues on copper coins are particularly difficult to predict. Based on the images of your piece, which could have different results in person, we could likely help the coin at the very least reduce the severity of the green corrosion. The red that can appear on the surface of a corroded copper coin can be more of a challenge. Our goal is always to have a coin that will grade with standard numeric grading with NGC following the conservation.

Chris, NCS

Looking for an opinion.

I recently was the high bidder on a few Medals offered at the Stack's Americana Sale. Now I know that the reason most of these are " Raw " , is simply do to their size , and the lack of a Oversized encapsulations prior to the introduction by NGC . I don't see a mass rush to NGC for these services. I want to preserve these historic medals the best way possible, with out going overboard on encapsulation fee's which could equally double the medal's value . What's your opinion on preservation for these large copper pieces, and would it be wise to submit these to NCS as there is some areas of dirt or grease on some.