• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Slab?

22 posts in this topic

I have never seen an NGC slab like this before. The reverse looks normal, while the obverse looks anything but.

I verified the certification #, so I suppose this is what the new NGC slabs will look like.

Notice that the grade is Extremely Fine rather than the usual XF40. Looks like it was made for gold bullion dealers mass marketing to non-coin collectors.

That's the first thing I noticed. There is no numeric grade assigned. At XF it's not a big deal; but I wonder if there will also be "Very Fine" and "About Uncirculated" slabs of this type?

Perryhall has it. This "Certified gold" program was something NGC announced about two years ago for problem gold coins. (This was before they decided to start doing the details grade on the regular holder.) It was basically for "dealers" to be able to market problem gold that collectors weren't that interested in or which wouldn't be worth slabbing to the non-collector by just slabbing it with a authentication guarantee at a lower price. That way you could assure your customer that the coins were real. NGC announced it and then it just faded away. I wasn't sure if they ever went ahead with it or not since you never saw them and they never talked about it again. I don't know if they are still doing it but it would not surprise me if they are and it may just be being done for a few major market makers. You know that happens with a lot of the "special labels" A few firms can get them but no one else can or does.

Perryhall has it. This "Certified gold" program was something NGC announced about two years ago for problem gold coins. (This was before they decided to start doing the details grade on the regular holder.) It was basically for "dealers" to be able to market problem gold that collectors weren't that interested in or which wouldn't be worth slabbing to the non-collector by just slabbing it with a authentication guarantee at a lower price. That way you could assure your customer that the coins were real. NGC announced it and then it just faded away. I wasn't sure if they ever went ahead with it or not since you never saw them and they never talked about it again. I don't know if they are still doing it but it would not surprise me if they are and it may just be being done for a few major market makers. You know that happens with a lot of the "special labels" A few firms can get them but no one else can or does.

I hope this isn't an example of what you're speaking about. There's nothing on the slab to indicate this is a problem coin.

ngc started this holder about a year ago for gold coins

that you wanted to have slabbed as problem gree and genuine with just a general grade

for example if the coin is ms 60-ms 70 they put uncirculated on the holder

if the coin is vf 20 25 30 35 they put vf on the holder and all they say is that the coin is genuine with no grade guarantee the only guarantee is that the coin is undamaged and genuine

Thank you for the welcome and link michael. I had not seen this slab type before and from your link, I copied this iinfo:

"NOTICE TO SUBMITTERS: This service is available to NGC Authorized Dealers in bulk submission only."

I'm glad these are not problem coins! Whew! I was concerned about that creating a lot of confusion.

I hope this isn't an example of what you're speaking about. There's nothing on the slab to indicate this is a problem coin.

It appears to be an original uncleaned coin that probably wasn't worth the expense of their regular grading service.

Heck, it's basically a gold nugget. Who cares if it's been cleaned or dinged or whatever? It's still just a nugget, sold by weight. I am guessing that's the point of such "genuine gold coin" encapsulation.

Heck, it's basically a gold nugget. Who cares if it's been cleaned or dinged or whatever? It's still just a nugget, sold by weight. I am guessing that's the point of such "genuine gold coin" encapsulation.

Huh? $300 for a $160 worth of gold in a quarter eagle is a "nugget sold by weight"?

Man with soo many slab changes goin on, how ya ever gonna know if someone's shooting you a counterfiet or not.

You can go to ngccoin.com and look at the "NGC Coin Grading -> Holders" menu to look up the various slab options.

Scott

Man with soo many slab changes goin on, how ya ever gonna know if someone's shooting you a counterfiet or not.

You can go to ngccoin.com and look at the "NGC Coin Grading -> Holders" menu to look up the various slab options.

Scott

That may be a good solution for current slabs but they don't have a complete history of past slabs. The current ones will likely fall off the web page when they change the design again leaving the same problem.