• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 London full sovereign, is it live or memorex

3 posts in this topic

So, I've got this sovereign and need your opinions. Real or counterfeit? I've already been in touch with Robert Matthews over in the U.K. but have to wait till he gets back from his holiday. I'm only posting the reverse as it should be the side of the coin that is of concern.

100_1493cropped.jpg

What do you think? One thing that you need to know is that I have 10 other "real" sovereigns, 9 from 1904-1925, 1 from 1979. Four of Ed VII, four of George V and 1 of Lizzy II. I've looked closely at Ed's and George's and can't find any differences on the reverse. The 1979 Lizzy II reverse doesn't count in my opinion.

Thanks all,

M

Detail looks real, surface looks.. weird but that is probably the photo. Pity about the big scratch.

It could be a modified mintmark sovereign that has had a weak mintmark removed. Looks like a remnant of a S there ?

I've looked closely at the 1917 and compared it to my 1914 London and 1926 S. African. I can see where you might see the faint outline of an S but, when I compare it to my 1914 both of those areas look the same. I'll try and get better pictures of these three coins today. It's sunny out and I have lots of trees so I can get the correct lighting.

Thanks for your opinion.