• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Information please about President Garfield medals

8 posts in this topic

On a lark, I picked up this Garfield medal at an auction this week. My questions are: Were these common issues for each President? Are they common? Is there any market for these kinds of medals and if so where might I find information. Thanks for any input :)

DSC06896.jpg

DSC06895.jpg

DSC06894.jpg

I believe you are correct perhaps a pm would have been a better option but why not share the wealth? :)

First, I don't think that the medal and the box were sold together originally. The box is from the 1876 Centennial celebration that was held in Philadelphia. That celebration had been closed for at least four years when the medal was struck. The medal was made after Garfield died from his wounds after he was assassinated in 1881. Therefore the medal could not have been sold in that box. If it was sold in that box it would have been a matter of convenience, not design.

The obverse die for the medal was made by mint engraver George T. Morgan (of Morgan dollar fame), and it was first used to mark Garfield’s inauguration in March 1881. It was used here for piece that marked his death and paired with a new reverse. The inauguration piece is listed in Sullivan / DeWitt as JG 1880-1. That piece has a view of the U.S. Capital on the reverse.

I don’t collect “death medals.” My interest runs to campaign pieces and sometimes inauguration pieces. Your piece appears to be made of white medal, not silver. As such I would not think that it is especially valuable, but then again this is not an area of my collecting interest or expertise when it comes to the market for such items.

Bill, Thank you for weighing in with your knowledge. I noticed the date discrepancy and was perplexed but your explanation makes sense. It is not silver but a pot metal of some kind. I picked it up for $10 as no one else entered a bid and I thought it was just neat. How cool to find a connection with George Morgan :) So much to learn and so little time. Thanks again Bill for sharing your knowledge and insights. :cool:

How big is it?

The diameter should be 38 mm, which is the size of the Garfield inaugural medal. The original Garfield medal was struck only in white metal according to Sullivan - DeWitt.

BTW you can't go wrong on that piece at $10. :cloud9: