• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1981 copper colored nickel

6 posts in this topic

When I was a kid I opened a new roll of nickels and inside was a 1981-D nickel that appears to be stamped on a penny blank. It weighs the same as a penny.....has anyone ever seen one before? Any idea of worth?

Thanks

JIM

Yep, that happens I would say semi often. If in mint state, and you can see the date and mintmark and whether it's red or brown or red / brown, I would expect it to be worth several hundred dollars.

Back in the 80's I used to be able to buy these nickel on cent planchets fairly often for around $25. Naturally they are higher today but I would be srprised if they were several hundred dollars. I might see $200.

I do not own one, but did shop around for one a few years ago, they were pricey then in MS condition (no circulation wear) anywhere from $175-$275 Personally I could not see spending that kind of money for a screw up, but the odds of finding one in a roll or change is astronomical, so the secondary market is about the only place you'll find them.

Note: If your in the market for something like this, make sure you buy these kinds of things graded. These kinds of errors are seen in Europe but they are bogus coins and pass freely as a US Mint error. They might eventually find their way into the US so be wary.