• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A New Direction

5 posts in this topic

Staring on Certified coins

Well now that I am all caught up on Proof and UNC Silver Eagles. I am now on the hunt for the Certified Silver Eagles. But I have a question? I dont want to be taken advantage price wise. and beside getting some help from the Shop I frequent, any suggestion would be helpful. I never started collecting to make a profit I do it for a hobby and like everyone else has a limited about of spending money on coins. It like baby steps one at a time. Iam thinking about grades like 69 for Eagles and buying from the only well repected geading services. But that really all I know.

Lane

See more journals by lanebrad

You have to first know what a coin is worth. I use NGC's Fair Market Value price guide to get a good idea of what a coin is worth. However, I am under the belief that if a person makes their living off coins, that then I should not expect to get coins at rock bottom prices or wholesale. I expect to be treated fairly and in return I am a very loyal and reasonable customer. Occasionally I get good prices on E-Bay, but fair prices can be had in a number of places, your local dealer is another. Avoid the shoppers hot line and TV offers like the plague. Next you have to determine what you are willing to pay for your coins. whatever fits in your budget, stick with it. Try to stick to to certified coins from either NGC or PCGS, then you can have confidence that MS-69 IS MS-69. Finally, be patient, don't be intimidated into buying a coin that you are not prepared to buy or is priced a little higher than you wanted to pay. Be willing to walk away from a sale if you are not comfortable. When it comes to silver eagles, don't worry, there is large supply of them in the market, check the NGC population report, there are thousands of MS-69's out there. Above all, have an enjoyable collecting experience, as you said that's what it is all about. Best wishes.

Gary

That is some great advice gherrmann44! The only thing I would add is remember to buy the coin not the slab. You have to be happy with the beautiful piece of silver art not the chunk of plastic that it is held in.

Good luck and enjoy your coins, John.

Thanks for taking the time to sharing your thoughts with me, on buying Cert. silver eagle and where to look for information going for the higher grade of 70 when possible.I do trust the guy that run the coin shop that I visit, and I just follow my gut feeling just like every other purchase that I made I guess I just needed a little shot of confidents

Lane

Don't be taken in with the "early release/first strike" labels. For some reason they get a higher value then the normally slabbed SAEs on the secondary market but it's just a marketing ploy by the TPGs and there is no difference between the two.