• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circulated Commems in NGC holders

11 posts in this topic

Not exactly sure what you're asking. Commemorative coins are made to celebrate some milestone in our country's history, and generally are not circulated as currency.

They are struck in PR and UNC for collecting purposes.

Not exactly sure what you're asking. Commemorative coins are made to celebrate some milestone in our country's history, and generally are not circulated as currency.

They are struck in PR and UNC for collecting purposes.

I presume he is talking about classic commemoratives, a fair number of which have been circulated. A know of several collectors who are trying to assemble sets of them - a tough challenge.

I don't buy commutative coins in the circulated grades, but I have seen a few of them. A number of commemorative issues from 1892 through the '20s were released into circulation. The best known are the Columbian half dollars and the Monroe commemorative half dollars, but I've seen lots of Alabama commemoratives that were not Mint State as well as a number of Missouri pieces. Quite often these coins are offered raw so you will have to send them in to get the circulated grade.

You will also find some Lewis & Clark gold dollars in circulated condition as well. Unfortunately they are often in MS-61 and 62 holders. :blush:

I have seen a number of circulated Panama Pacific 50C. These were probably not really circulated, just handled and/or stored wrong.

I have an AU58 which is technically not uncirculated...

Many of the commemorative coins from 1892 to 1928 were sold to non collectors who did not know how to preserve them. Some issues like the Columbian, Monroe and Stone Mountain half dollars were released into circulation. Beginning in the 1930s, after Franklin Roosevelt renewed the commemorative coin programs, (Herbert Hoover was against commemorative coins) they became a collecting fad, and coin collectors bought most of the net mintages. Those collectors preserved the coins well for the most part, which explains why low grade coins and even coins in less than MS-63 are scarce for some issues.

Anyone of the classic commems have circulated, some more than others, and some were simply used as pocketpieces. There are several listed in the NGC population report but the only low one that I have seen is a Missouri. I was just wondering if any of the board members might have one or have seen one.

I have a Stone Mountain that was circulated and graded XF 40 by NGC. I'm not even sure why I sent it in; however, I think I had 5 commemoratives and 5 coupons. I also have a $1 Louis and Clark graded AU 55 that I'm pretty sure it was briefly circulated based on how it was acquired.