• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 Medal Of Honor Commemorative

29 posts in this topic

Looks like the U.S. Mint has made a decision on the designs for the gold and silver commemoratives. I'm sure it was a tough decision. As an old Salty Dog (Retired Navy) nothing currently done can match the significance of what this award truly means.

United States Mint Unveils 2011 Medal of Honor Commemorative Coin Designs

New commemorative coin marks 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Medal of Honor:

CHARLESTON, S.C. – United States Mint Deputy Director Andy Brunhart unveiled designs for the 2011 Medal of Honor Commemorative Coin Program today at the Congressional Medal of Honor Society's annual convention in historic Charleston, S.C. The bureau is minting and issuing the commemorative coins in recognition and celebration of the establishment of the Medal of Honor in 1861, as authorized by Public Law 111-91, the Medal of Honor Commemorative Coin Act of 2009. Options will include gold $5 coins and silver $1 coins in proof and uncirculated qualities.

The obverse (heads side) of the gold coin, by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Joseph Menna, depicts the original Medal of Honor, authorized by Congress in 1861, as the Navy's highest personal decoration. Inscriptions on the obverse are LIBERTY, 1861, 2011, IN GOD WE TRUST and MEDAL OF HONOR. The coin's reverse (tails side) was designed by Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) Master Designer Joel Iskowitz and sculpted by Sculptor-Engraver Michael Gaudioso. The design features Minerva, based on the common central image on both the original Navy and Army Medals of Honor. Minerva, standing with a shield representing the Army and Navy in her right hand and the Union flag in her left hand, is flanked by a field artillery cannon and wheel of the Civil War era. Inscriptions on the reverse are UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, $5 and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

The obverse of the silver coin, by Sculptor-Engraver Jim Licaretz, depicts the three current Army, Navy and Air Force Medals of Honor, left to right. The ribbon with field of stars in the center is the common feature of all three medals, reflecting the joint nature of modern era warfare and that the Medal of Honor is the only U.S. military medal worn around the neck. Inscriptions on the obverse are LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, MEDAL OF HONOR and 1861–2011. The coin's reverse was designed by AIP Master Designer Richard Masters and sculpted by Sculptor-Engraver Phebe Hemphill. The design depicts a modern-day infantry soldier carrying a wounded soldier to safety under enemy fire, reflecting the courage and self-sacrifice of all Medal of Honor recipients. Inscriptions on the reverse are UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, ONE DOLLAR and E PLURIBUS UNUM.

Mintages for the Medal of Honor Commemorative Coin Program are limited to 100,000 gold $5 coins and 500,000 silver $1 coins. Surcharges collected from coin sales—$35 for each gold coin and $10 for each silver coin—are authorized to be paid to the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation to help finance its educational, scholarship and outreach programs.

The Medal of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force that can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. It is presented to a person who distinguishes himself or herself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his or her life above and beyond the call of duty. The medals are presented by the President in the name of Congress.

"The men and women of the United States Mint are honored by the role we will play in connecting America to the values and qualities of courage, sacrifice and patriotism through the 2011 Medal of Honor Commemorative $5 Gold and Silver Dollar Coins," said Deputy Director Brunhart.

Gold Design:

MOH_Gold_Obverse_Large.jpg

MOH_Gold_Reverse_Large.jpg

Reverse

Silver Design:

MOH_Silver_Obverse_Large.jpg

Obverse

MOH_Silver_Reverse_Large.jpg

Reverse

I'm a big fan of the Classic Commemorative series and I'm going to reserve comments till I actually see one of these coins. My preference will be to purchase a Gold Proof, depending on price of course. :)

I'm hoping Roger Burdette will chime in to give his thoughts and opinions.

The dollar reverse was recommended by the CCAC. Others were considered, but felt to be weak and lacking inspiration. The Liberty figure is a copy from one of the military services.

I actually think that, relative to many of the recent commemoratives, both of these look like they'll be pretty good on their reverses. Not a ginormous fan of the obverses, but I understand that they probably "should" represent what the medal looks like.

Don't like either of the obverses (if you want to show the medal, show the medal closeup), but both of the reverses look pretty good. Much better than alot of the stuff the Mint has been putting out lately.

From these line drawings, I like the half-eagle reverse the best but I want to see how the dollar reverse is executed. It looks like it has the potential to look better as a coin than as line art!

Scott

I think the $5 gold will be a pretty coin, but the $1 design does nothing for me. The obverse is too busy on the $1 for the size of the coin, and the reverse is not inspirational.

Hoot

I wonder what the issue price will be? It will have to be a lot more than in the past if the price of gold and silver continues to be high.

I'd like to get a two piece set. I hope the mint does not play games (issue only a limited number of sets to create an artificial demand for them) with the sets the way they they did with the Bald Eagle commemorative sets. As citizens, taxpayers and mint customers we deserve to be treated better than that.

I wonder what the issue price will be? It will have to be a lot more than in the past if the price of gold and silver continues to be high.

I'd like to get a two piece set. I hope the mint does not play games (issue only a limited number of sets to create an artificial demand for them) with the sets the way they they did with the Bald Eagle commemorative sets. As citizens, taxpayers and mint customers we deserve to be treated better than that.

I don't know about the gold issue, but I would venture to guess the silver one might have an early order price between $34.95 - $38.95 with a final price of $44.95 to $48.95 after the introductory offer has ended.

I hope the mint does not play games (issue only a limited number of sets to create an artificial demand for them)

Mintages for the Medal of Honor Commemorative Coin Program are limited to 100,000 gold $5 coins and 500,000 silver $1 coins.

but I would venture to guess the silver one might have an early order price between $34.95 - $38.95 with a final price of $44.95 to $48.95 after the introductory offer has ended.

I think you are probably a little low. What was issue price on this years BSA dollar? Then consider that silver is about $6 and oz higher now. My guess would be take the BSA price and add $8 - $10. Assuming silver stops rising.

Or possibly take the price of the proof 2010 silver eagle and add $10 for the commem surcharge.

but I would venture to guess the silver one might have an early order price between $34.95 - $38.95 with a final price of $44.95 to $48.95 after the introductory offer has ended.

I think you are probably a little low. What was issue price on this years BSA dollar? Then consider that silver is about $6 and oz higher now. My guess would be take the BSA price and add $8 - $10. Assuming silver stops rising.

Or possibly take the price of the proof 2010 silver eagle and add $10 for the commem surcharge.

I ordered my BSA PR for $34.95 introductory price. After the introductory period was over the price went up to $44.95.

I think Lady Liberty is a little too anatomically correct if you catch my drift.

That's because she's wearing a see-through top.

Chris

So add $8 because silver is up $6 and you get $42.95 introductory and $52.95 regular. Assuming silver stops rising.

I think you're a bit high.

Silver had risen in price between the release of the DAV commem and the BSA commem, yet the introductory price was the same for both coins, as well as the after introductory price.

Thanks for the link on the MOH awards table! I thought there would have been a greater percentage given to those who gave their life.

It's too bad those that are no longer with us won't receive the coin or rather have the chance to get one. Perhaps the relatives of those fallen will purchase one as a tribute of some sort.

I often wonder about those that gave so much to save others. Thanks to all!

meh. Everything but the $1 reverse looks clip-arty. The $1 reverse looks more like original artwork, but once rendered on the coin it will have less detail, none of the relief that would make it grab you like it should, and will be on a shiny, sterile background. Imagine the same design popping out of a background such as the one that appears on the buffalo nickel. Changing nothing else, it becomes a design with an entirely different level of emotion. For $50 a pop, collectors of modern commemoratives deserve no less than high quality art.

Here are the prices...

$5 Gold Proof $449.95

$5 Gold Unc $439.95

$1 Proof $54.95

$1 Unc $49.95

I plan to buy 1 of each of the golds and 100 proofs and 50 uncs for the $1's.

Why just 50 of the unc's? I know sometimes the Unc sells for far more then the Proofs. I was just wondering. I got my order for 1 Pr. & 1 Unc Silver at 12.03 and they have a ship date of 2 months. Love that Mint.

Why just 50 of the unc's? I know sometimes the Unc sells for far more then the Proofs. I was just wondering. I got my order for 1 Pr. & 1 Unc Silver at 12.03 and they have a ship date of 2 months. Love that Mint.

Actually I got the 99 proofs as they wouldn't let me order more than 99 and I got

50 of the unc. From My experience the graded proofs always sell better.