• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1911 Proof florin & shilling

15 posts in this topic

I've tried several times in the past to capture an accurate image of these coins - never had much success until today. But this time I got 'em sumo.gif

They are part of an original 10 piece Proof set - and each coin in the set is a jewel unto itself wink.gif

1911_Proof_florin_obv.jpg

1911_Proof_florin_rev.jpg

Hmmmm - well there's the 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6 pence. Haven't gotten around to getting pics of those yet. The shilling & florin as above.

The half crown -

1911%20half%20crown%20b.jpg

I need to redo the next two - had the saturation settings a bit high foreheadslap.gif But it's the only pics I have right now.

The half sovereign -

1911%20Proof%201-2%20sov.jpg

And the sovereign -

1911%20Proof%20sov.jpg

There were only 952 of these sets issued. One of these days I hope to obtain the 12 piece set which has the 2 lb. & 5 lb. coins as well. I have also seen, although they are not listed in Krause, the 7 piece silver only set. Wanna get one of those too wink.gif

Well I managed to image the rest of the coins and re-did the gold and the half crown. So here's the rest of the set.

1911_Proof_pence.obv.jpg

1911_Proof_pence.rev.jpg

1911_Proof_2_pence.obv.jpg

1911_Proof_2_pence.rev.jpg

1911_Proof_3_pence.obv.jpg

1911_Proof_3_pence.rev.jpg

1911_Proof_4_pence.obv.jpg

1911_Proof_4_pence.rev.jpg

1911_Proof_6_pence.obv.jpg

1911_Proof_6_pence.rev.jpg

Now for the half crown - compare the two pics. This is a perfect illustration of what changing the lighting angle can do depending on what aspect of the coin you are trying to illustrate. Both of these pics are 100% accurate and have had 0 software manipulation other than resizing & cropping.

The first pic already shown was taken with the goal of capturing the coins luster.

1911%20half%20crown%20b.jpg

This pic was taken with the goal of capturing the toning that is apparent when the coin is viewed at certain angles.

1911_Proof_half_crown_obv.jpg

1911_Proof_half_crown_rev.jpg

Talk about night and day 893whatthe.gif Most would swear those are two different coins. I assure you they are not. And if viewed in person and in the right light - that is exactly what you will see.

Now for the gold. The previous pics were one of my first attempts - terrible results. While these are better - I have not even come close to accurately capturing the watery mirrors of these coins - or the cameo effect of the devices. One of these days confused-smiley-013.gif

The half sovereign -

1911_Proof_half_sov_obv.jpg

1911_Proof_half_sov_rev.jpg

The sovereign -

1911_Proof_sov_obv.jpg

1911_Proof_sov_rev.jpg

Nice looking set!

I forgot about the half sovereign so I had trouble getting the number of coins to add up to 10. Enjoy!

-JamminJ