• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Certify or Not - That is the Question

4 posts in this topic

Found some retired US Coins

I ran across a box of foreign coins on Monday that I'd forgotten about over the years. While looking through them, I ran across the leftovers from some of my past collecting efforts.

Obsolete, I prefer retired, US coins from the 19th Century. Everything was there, Large Cent, Two Cents, Three Cents (both silver and nickel versions), the "No Cent" Nickel, a Half Dime. Well, almost everything as I vaguely remember one or two examples of Half Cents that must be around somewhere.

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe I should get them certified and create a display. None is especially valuable, maybe $10 to $50 maximum, still it would be fun to have around. The only problem is the cost of certification. Is it worth it or should I put the money into my current collecting interest? Questions, questions, questions? Why can't life be simple.

See more journals by pnunemacher

I'm not really all that set on having them slabbed. Another member messaged me about using a Capital Holder and I'm decided that's the way to go. They really do make one for 19th Century Type Sets. Yes, there will be a few holes but over time I can fill those with raw coins. After all as I said none are very expensive and it would be just a curiosity piece to have around for visitors.

the capital holder is good advice--unless they have special sentimental value ( the coins were handed down from a grandparent for example), the cost of slabbing and shipping both ways may be close to or exceed the coins' value