• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Parsippany, NJ

19 posts in this topic

I went to the monthly Parsippany show today. As usual, floor traffic was crowded and there were two dealers who had to set up in a side room, with the book dealer. (I looked at their material briefly - I hope they got some other lookers!) This show certainly seems to be getting more popular!

I talked to TomB and Airplanenut (Jeremy). njcoincrank stopped by Tom's table a couple of times looking for Jeremy, but missed him each time wink.gif. Tom showed me the 1914? Barber half in VF? that he posted an image of a while back. A very nice coin - fully original. Truly hard to find! A couple of other people were talking about Tom's 1796 quarter in very original F (I think). (That coin is truly to die for!) Tom's going to have to send that coin back to PCGS for a pedigree if it gets any more famous!

For Tom and the others of you who have been following my slab adventures: I saw an NGC3 (Bordered label, raised logo - used late 1987 to late 1989), but it was $50 or so - too much for an impulse purchase. (There was a coin in the slab, but I forget what it was - a Mercury dime, I think.) Tom also showed me one of his NGC4 slabs (Bordered label, full width hologram - used late 1989 to 1992) and we discussed how desirable a "Full Hologram" slab is, since so many of dealers put labels over the holograms or they've become scratched up over the years. Tom's was, of course, a Full Hologram!

It was actually crowded enough that it was hard to get to the tables! There seemed to be a lot of business going on, as well. I managed to pick up a couple of slightly less common raw XF mercuries (1917 and 1918-S) from Tom Hyland. Tom was doing a lot of buying, though, so I didn't get a good look at his inventory.

Steve Sabatino (SLQ Coins) was showing off an 1850 proof dime, one of 8 minted, I believe.

I'd like to thank Tom again for giving me a toned Unc. 1957-D cent that he picked out of a Mint set. (He seems to be exhibiting classic drug dealer behavior - give the customer a little taste of toning and pretty soon he becomes desperate for more and more!) The coin is an attractive RB with, I think, greenish toning. Interesting. The coin seems to have this strange fascination for me. . .

As Dave mentioned, I was there, too...

I found that the type coins available this month were either really low grade, or too rich for my blood--the only hole I killed in my type set was the 09-VDB in a nice RD example. I also picked up some raw toners, as well as two toned Roosie's from Tom... and a nice toned cent from Tom, free (Tom, SHHHH!)

I definitely enjoyed talking today... as I do most of the time. Of course, the best line of the day goes to Tom for making a great crack at Dave, who, though two feet away, was completely oblivious foreheadslap.gif

Oh, well... hopefully I'll have a little better luck next month, when I can drive there myself. Regardless, I had some good fun, and came home with a little extra cash cool.gif

Jeremy

I'd like to thank Tom again for giving me a toned Unc. 1957-D cent that he picked out of a Mint set. (He seems to be exhibiting classic drug dealer behavior - give the customer a little taste of toning and pretty soon he becomes desperate for more and more!) The coin is an attractive RB with, I think, greenish toning. Interesting. The coin seems to have this strange fascination for me. . .

Dave,

From the above statment I fear you may be doomed! 893whatthe.gif

DON'T LOOK AT THE TONING! DON'T LOOK AT THE TONING! 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

John

Don't listen to John, Dave, don't listen to John. You feel sleepy. sleeping.gif You want more toned coins. insane.gif You must have more toned coins. sumo.gif

I had a great time at the show, as per usual. DaveG stopped by and had a wonderful, original 1842 Seated half with him that was blatently undergraded as AU50. The coin was smooth, not chippy like most AU50 coins are, and it had relatively little wear on it. I offered him EF money for it, hey, he was on the other side of the table, but he wouldn't budge. 893whatthe.gif The Barber half was a 1914 in EF45 and is actually a pretty nice coin. As Dave mentioned, njcoincrank was looming and actively looking for Jeremy. Alas, it was not to be.

You know people are getting picky when you can't give a coin away! 893whatthe.gif I gave three nicely toned Wheat cents to Jeremy and asked him what he thought of them so that he could go through them and take any he wanted, for free, and all he could do was hand them back to me and tell me he wasn't interested. Perhaps I have poor taste in toned coins? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Finally, DaveG made me feel better by letting me give him a sympathy handout 893whatthe.gif and then Jeremy was all over the coins. Hmmmmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The show was packed. There were quite a few folks looking and even a few buying. My purchases came late in the day from two other dealers. The first was from a dealer's son who had not been able to sell a single coin from the table all day. sorry.gif So, I (over)paid for a nicely toned Roosevelt dime with truly spectacular target toning on the reverse. The obverse is okay, but the reverse is the coin. I was later able to buy an F12 1921 SLQ with a 90% full date. shocked.gif Don't laugh until you try to find one. They are weak, or even missing, up through EF.

Jeremy had some cool raw stuff with him, including some very intriguing proof toned Lincolns. The Lincoln from the Bicentennial proof set has an awesome obverse. I don't recall the date, but there was a set where the Mint medal was just terrific. Can I buy the Mint medal from you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bustman was also there and he stopped by to chat two or three times. He brought some truly special coins with him and was gracious enough to allow me to examine them. Sadly, there wasn't anything he was willing to part with, and nothing of mine, that I was willing to sell, was calling his name.

I had four people ask about the 1913 proof Lincoln cent I had out on the table, however, no one wanted to pay the premium for the piece. This issue is an example of an artificially depressed price because of all the dogs out there. Then, when a nice coin comes along, many people don't understand that it takes a bit above sheet levels to obtain it and they wonder why I'm trying to gouge them. juggle.gif I wasn't, really. confused.gif

Overall, it was a great show. smile.gif

PS: Dave, you're getting sleeeeeepy... sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

Don't listen to John, Dave, don't listen to John. You feel sleepy. You want more toned coins. You must have more toned coins.

Tom,

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. Dave have seen your toners a number of times already, so I fear he is lost already. Doomed to a world of despair as he goes endlessly in search of the next affordable stunning toned gem grin.gif

I just felt I had to make an effort to save him from himself. wink.gif

John

Jeremy had some cool raw stuff with him, including some very intriguing proof toned Lincolns. The Lincoln from the Bicentennial proof set has an awesome obverse. I don't recall the date, but there was a set where the Mint medal was just terrific. Can I buy the Mint medal from you?

Tom is referring to these:

1c_obv_1.jpg

1c_obv_2.jpg

1c_rev.JPG

medal_obv.jpg

medal_rev.JPG

As for the Free coin... last few times Tom's put something in front of me and said, "What do you think?" a huge price tag has followed. In an effort not to be tricked, I was tricked 893frustrated.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Jeremy

Jeremy,

Tom makes a funny that I missed (because I was in another conversation) and you won't share? That's not nice!

Actually, although I like toned coins, I'm what the Liberty Seated Collector's Club crowd condescendingly refers to as a "date and mintmark" collector (as opposed to die varieties), plus, I like coins for the history they represent. Therefore, it's almost impossible for me to pay (sheet, much less a multiple) for a coin that "hasn't done anything", such as an uncirculated Roosevelt, Washington or Morgan, whereas I'd be happy to pay up for a coin such as Tom's 1796 quarter (as soon as I win the Lottery!).

Also, buying a coin solely for the sake of its toning seems too much like buying art to me - it's way too subjective for my taste!

Folks,

There's a bit of verbiage parsing I'd like to make here that I'm hoping people will appreciate.

In this thread, we are clearly talking about color and toning. I think that is a very bad thing. Color and consequent toning is a fad, especially when one pays moon money. That market is thin, and a 2-way one can easily disappear.

Let's be perfectly clear that the main product of TomB's inventory is NOT color. Rather, it is eye appeal. Eye appeal has always stood the test of time. And, while his pricing isn't cheap when compared to the conventional price guides, he isn't asking moon or fad money either.

Bottom line, folks, is that there is a huge difference between a fad market based on color and a real market based on eye appeal.

Regards,

EVP

PS I am certain, however, that TomB will accept an offer of moon money for any current fad widgets in his inventory!

Well, sometimes Tom is selling eye-appeal and sometimes he's selling color.

BUT, it's not really clear that Tom is actually selling anything grin.gif. For example, Tom reports that he bought two coins at this month's show, but he doesn't report that he sold anything!

Then, of course, there's the matter of his alleged 30 toned Roosevelt dimes that he claims he may be willing to sell, once they come back from PCGS (which, of course they haven't yet).

Clearly, in Tom's case, this is not a two-way market, but simply a one-way market - in Tom's direction.

Highly suspicious, I must say! devil.gif

I think EVP hit it on the head with his post! thumbsup2.gif Well put, and thank you.

As for DaveG, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif, I did sell four coins at the show, as well as giving two coins away, and the coins I sold went for more money than the coins I bought. However, the coins I sold are now gone, while the coins I purchased are sitting here in front of me. I think you saw the wonderfully toned War nickel Dave, well, it's gone. frown.gif

Tom,

Glad you actually sold some coins grin.gif!

I do recall that flashy War nickel - I hope it found a nice home.

Tom makes a funny that I missed (because I was in another conversation) and you won't share? That's not nice!
Might not be so nice if I tell you, as well... now what to do? confused.gif

Jeremy,

Look at it this way - you can either tell me now or suffer a torrent of new-driver mockery next month.

By the way, are your parents going to let you drive the vehicle with the bigger back seat? (or haven't you introduced your girlfriend to them yet?)

Jeremy,

Look at it this way - you can either tell me now or suffer a torrent of new-driver mockery next month.

By the way, are your parents going to let you drive the vehicle with the bigger back seat? (or haven't you introduced your girlfriend to them yet?)

Fine, Dave... (but I still expect the mockery in April!!!)

Me: I'm looking for either something old, or something with color...

Tom: How about a sun-burned Dave?

As for the girlfriend part, I don't have one right now--but I do have friends who are girls, and I'm taking one to an R-rated movie this weekend... the movies we'd never let our parents see 893applaud-thumb.gif And I have a 1992 Volvo wagon, spacious back seat...

Jeremy

Jeremy,

Did you then say "OK, but the glare off the top of his head makes me worried that he's been polished."?

A Volvo wagon is good, just make sure you have a nice comfy blanket to spread out in the back after you fold down the backseat. (Also, watch out for the relatively low head room.)

Remember also the Cardinal Rule: "Ladies first"

Frankly, you children today really don't know what an R-rated movie is. I much preferred "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" to "American Pie", for example.

Did you then say "OK, but the glare off the top of his head makes me worried that he's been polished."?

No, we just laughed and confirmed that you were completely clueless about the event

A Volvo wagon is good, just make sure you have a nice comfy blanket to spread out in the back after you fold down the backseat. (Also, watch out for the relatively low head room.)
Point taken--plus, they're so darn easy to drive

Frankly, you children today really don't know what an R-rated movie is. I much preferred "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" to "American Pie", for example.
Here's what I know about R-rated movies--I don't want to see them with my parents, or have my parents see them at all... at least some... 893whatthe.gif

And by the way, American Pie was a great movie--but it's those I'd rather not see with my parents, especially because they can create akward inside jokes 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgossip.gif

Jeremy,

Ah yes, there's no faster way to gross out one's teenagers than to watch an R-rated movie with them or to imply that one wasn't always an out-of-touch, totally uncool, brain damaged parent of a teenager grin.gif

Or, what's worse - to point out that the "inappropriate lyrics" of today's rap music is actually rather innocent when compared to the heavy metal of the '70s!

BEGIN THE MOCKERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or, what's worse - to point out that the "inappropriate lyrics" of today's rap music is actually rather innocent when compared to the heavy metal of the '70s!
Rap is terrible