• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly Show Report

5 posts in this topic

I arrived at the show on Friday morning with a very specific goal. I was looking to add a 13th coin to my Peace Dollar collection, and particularly, was looking for a 25-S, 27-P, or 34-P, in that order, for budget reasons. I had allocated about $200 to spend.

My first order of business was to quickly walk through all of the rows to assimilate myself with the layout, and to find the locations of any sellers i have done previous business with, or have conversed with in the NGC and CoinTalk forums.

To my dismay, I found most of these dealers to be rather difficult to find time with.

I did make time to talk to the representative at the Disruptek table, and while their Peace Dollars were out of my range, she was very courteous, and we had a good talk about the awesome imagery they use on eBay.

I than made a second round, this time, actively looking for enslabbed NGC or PCGS Peace Dollars, preferable something with color. One table had a bounty of colorful peace dollars, but alas, they were all low-grade and common dates. I did find a PCGS MS-63 1925-S with colorful toning (albert hideous), but the dealer wanted a 2x retail markup due to the color, which in this instance, I was unwilling to do.

Just when I was losing hope that I would find any solid candidates, I happened upon a wholesalers (Royalty coins out of Texas) table, and he had a box full of NGC Peace dollars.

To my surprise, most of them were 27-P's and 34-P's. I was going to have the pick up my litter!

I finally selected a 1934-P in NGC MS-63 with hints of steel gray-bluish patina for $185, and was on my way. This coin moved me up from 171 to 161 in the Peace Dollar registry, and a subsequent upgrade of my 1923-P from MS-64 to MS-65 moved me from number 161 to 155.

I stopped at Reading Terminal Market for some Chinese, and made the short drive home.

I went to the NGC table twice, but both times, the people there were very busy.

I even laughed when one snobbish customer had the audacity to cut in front of me, and someone else who was already being waited on, to be helped. I guess he figured his 5 figure coin (assumption) was better than everyone elses 3 or 4 figure coins.

Royalty coins has been good to me whenever I dealt with them. They generally have a lot of reasonably priced material. Their office in downtown San Antonio is pretty cool as well, right around the corner from the Alamo.

You must be able to scan the floor quite fast or else you were very focused on only looking at Peace dollars to be able to go through the bourse twice in one day. I was there both Thursday and Friday and did not even complete one circuit.

I know when I go to shows I can usually get through them in a few hours as I am very focused on toned material.....sometime at FUN I can make 5 or 6 complete trips around the floor in one day :devil: