• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd shaped coins. Do they interest you?

8 posts in this topic

I have always like odd shaped coins. I think they are much more interesting than the usual round disk of metal. Square shaped coins, triangle shaped coins, scalloped edge coins, coins with holes in them, I like them all.

Here are a few of my odd shaped coins.

416750-B01_0106.JPG416752-B02_0107.JPG

416753-B03_0108.JPG416754-B04_0109.JPG

416758-B05_0110.JPG416759-B06_0111.JPG

416802-B07_0112.JPG416804-B08_0113.JPG

416805-B11_0116.JPG416807-B12_0117.JPG

If anyone has other odd shaped coins feel free to post them!

John

I've added a few oddball coins to my collection based only on their shapes. I have some scalloped Hong Kong coins, plenty of stuff with holes and a few square or diamond coins but nothing triangular has come my way.

I've posted this one before but it's my favorite oddly shaped coin, a Salzburg Klippe.

388091-onesixth.JPG

I'd love to add a square klippe to my collection (as opposed to this diamond shaped one) where the round device is rotated 45 degrees on the square planchet. I'm sure a good one will come along one of these days!

I wouldn't mind seeing a shot of one of your triangular coins.

-JamminJ

Hi JJ,

I don't have a triangular shaped coin..yet. The only one that I am aware of was minted by Bermuda back in 1997. I have not be able to find a really nice one so far. Here is one that is listed on eBay now, but I don't care for the haze.

Triangular shaped coin

BTW, That's is a nice coin you posted.

John

Thanks!

I agree the haze is distracting on the Bermuda coin but it does have a newat shape.

Funny, when you mentioned triangular coinage I was expecting a Spanish dollar cut in to quarters "two bits" style or an old English silver penny sliced into a farthing. Shows where my interests lie!

-JamminJ

John -

One of these days I'm break down and buy the gold version of that Bermuda coin. I've wanted one of those things forever 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't know why - but other odd shaped coins, with the possible exception of some klippes I've seen, never held much interest for me. Chocolate & vanilla I guess.

Go for it GDJMSP! thumbsup2.gif

I wanted to buy one of each issue of the Bermuda coins when they came out, but for some reason long forgotten I never did. I have been looking for them for a while now, but just can't seem to find a nice example. frown.gif

John