• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the GIANT Price Difference in PCGS/NGC on Some Wash. Quarters?

15 posts in this topic

Okay, I know that many folks think PCGS is more discriminating so their holders have some premium in general over NGC, though I also know that NGC's new holders can command a premium over PCGS. I also know that for some special designations, like FBL on Franklin Halves, the two companies have different standards and NGC is actually much stricter than PCGS and so commands a higher price.

But what the heck is going on with some mid-MS silver Washington quarters?! Many of them go for roughly the same, but I consistently see a few -- in particular a 1961-D -- where PCGS goes for 3-4 times NGC for the same grade. What the heck!?

Just an FYI, these so called premiums, are for the label on the holder, and not the coins entombed therein.

Remember, buy the coin, not the labeled holder.

An NGC MS-62 Washington(any year) is no different than an PCGS MS-62 Washington(any year).

Regardless of whose label is on the holder(top 3 TPGs not basement graders), you still have an MS-62 Washington(any year) and it's value is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

Yes, I realize this, coinsman. As dopy reiterated, the question was "why?" and more to the point, why on THAT date/mint? The MS-66 quarters are usually very roughly at parity with each other between NGC and PCGS, but as I stated in my original question, there are a few, such as that date/mint, where the PCGS one consistently sells for 3-4x the NGC, at least on TeleTrade, and I was wondering why.

I am extremely familiar with the grading of silve WQs in the MS range and I can state from longterm experience that the NGC and PCGS standards drift apart from one another more on the high end of the grading scale than on the low end. This applies especially within the MS66-MS68 grade range and I believe you are witnessing this with the 1961-D WQ. As a PCGS MS67 coin, the 1961-D WQ is worth significant money and I think some bidders might take a chance on these 1998-2001 era holder that the present coin is in so that they might get an upgrade and make a huge profit.

I am extremely familiar with the grading of silve WQs in the MS range and I can state from longterm experience that the NGC and PCGS standards drift apart from one another more on the high end of the grading scale than on the low end. This applies especially within the MS66-MS68 grade range and I believe you are witnessing this with the 1961-D WQ. As a PCGS MS67 coin, the 1961-D WQ is worth significant money and I think some bidders might take a chance on these 1998-2001 era holder that the present coin is in so that they might get an upgrade and make a huge profit.

This is spot on. Also the 1961 D is a tough coin to find mark free. Good luck looking for one.

Why the GIANT Price Difference in PCGS/NGC on Some Wash. Quarters?

possible upgrade potential higher grade, plus, pedigree etc.

top pop registry set ego points

the tag on the holder

market perception

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if the pops go up does the price or down?? and what happens if a top pop coin is now not top pop as one or 2 3 get graded higher? or the top pop increases in coins graded?

break the coins out of the holder and let me know the marketability and current cash market value as compaired to the same coin in its holder?

if the coin is so great then it should be worth 90% of the pre breakout holdered price?? 75% 50% 25% etc??

There is more protégé to having the NUMBER 1 PCGS set. Therefore some lemmings are willing pay a lot more to be in the PCGS club.

Frankly I have enough issues with the point allocations that rule registry set ranks to say, I’m going to do my own thing with the registry and ignore the compulsion to the top dog or the top chump depending upon your take on it.

And yes, TomB has got it right. In the very highest grades PCGS can be tough as nails with their MS-67+ grades, BUT they can also use that toughness to manipulate the market too. There have been more than few lemmings ATS who have paid big bucks for 2005 something when the population was low only find out that they now own a high priced white elephant because PCGS graded more of them.

I agree that the 1961-D would be very tough to locate in TRUE MS-67.... as would just about any WQ from the 1960s. I'd have to retrieve my collection to take a second look, but offhand, I'd guess mine's MS-66 or better (not certified). Most of my latter WQs are either cracked from MS-66 minimum slabs, or coins I bought raw that would obviously qualify for that grade at least.

I'd surmise that most of the coins I cracked out were from PCGS, perhaps 2/3? But it was strictly an issue of finding the coins I liked best. There are many instances where a particular NGC quarter at a certain grade is nicer than a particular PCGS quarter at the same grade.

I have recently branched into collecting 1940 - 1964 Washingtons, mainly as a fun, relatively inexpensive coin that allows me to use my knowledge of 1948 - 1963 mints (courtesy of Franklins) to collect. I'd agree with Tom's comments. However, there are certainly solid for the grade coins in NGC holders in MS66-7. Use that to your advantage. Most likely when it comes time to sell them I'll just send them in to CAC instead of trying the crossover game.

Okay, I know that many folks think PCGS is more discriminating so their holders have some premium in general over NGC, though I also know that NGC's new holders can command a premium over PCGS. I also know that for some special designations, like FBL on Franklin Halves, the two companies have different standards and NGC is actually much stricter than PCGS and so commands a higher price.

But what the heck is going on with some mid-MS silver Washington quarters?! Many of them go for roughly the same, but I consistently see a few -- in particular a 1961-D -- where PCGS goes for 3-4 times NGC for the same grade. What the heck!?

NGC is many times stricter than PCGS on FBL Franklins, but the NGC coins DO NOT command a higher price. In fact, they sell for considerably less than PCGS FBLs, even though the NGC coins are nicer. Check out NGC vs PCGS 1953-S FBL prices.

In my experience PCGS is much stricter with their grading in ms66-67 grades on washingtons. Not as much in ms66 grades, but ms67 is a different ball game with pcgs coins compared to NGC.

NGC just allows more contact marks for their ms67 grades compared to pcgs's ms67 grade. But ms66 and lower are basically the same between both tpg's, but there's always some exceptions.

NGC is many times stricter than PCGS on FBL Franklins, but the NGC coins DO NOT command a higher price. In fact, they sell for considerably less than PCGS FBLs, even though the NGC coins are nicer. Check out NGC vs PCGS 1953-S FBL prices.

I think it all boils down to Registry Sets....NGC allows PCGS coins but PCGS does not allow NGC coins in the Registry.

Not a good situation IMO...........