• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Highest Graded GSA Soft Pack - MS66 Monster! posted by GSA_Gem_Quest

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

These were sold as circulated coins by the government in the 70's for $3 each.

I just made my first MS66 Morgan Silver Dollar in the GSA Soft Pack holder! How sweet it is! This 1883-O is a rather common date in the GSA Soft Packs, but this is the only 66 for the date. I bought this ungraded and thought it had a shot at 66. It is very clean with a touch of rim toning.

As of this writing, the GSA soft pack population report shows this new MS66 as 1 of only 3 graded MS66 for all dates (1878-CC, 1880-S, and my 1883-O), with 1 graded higher at MS67 (1879-S).

These coins were part of the silver dollar hoard discovered in government bank vaults in the 60's and sold by the government in the 70's to coin collectors. Many thought at that time the government should stay out of the coin business. They were probably right. Note in the picture the GSA white token issued with the coin. It says "circulated."

7767.jpg

See more journals by GSA_Gem_Quest