• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New collector

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm not really a 'new' collector, just really got into 'hardcore' collecting. I Have a few coins, i have 2 coins that i would like to have graded. one is a 2000 s Dime, it's in a hard plastic case that can not be open unless your crack it open and i have a silver dollar that is toning, very pretty blue around the edge of the coin then some yellow and green. i been trying to get a dealer to answer my emails, but no one will respond. How do i send these coins in to be graded? i really don't understand the process and how much it will cast, because ngc has 50 different prices

Cleaning Copper coins.

cleaning a copper coin by soaking it in vinegar and salt. then rubbing the coin between your fingers with backinsoda, Will this cause the coin to be turned down by ngc as a improperly cleaned coin?

i did this with a black 1900 Indian head and now its a shinny reflective red just by letting it soak for 30mins... it's very pretty imho.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

It's difficult to render an opinion about whether to have a coin graded or not without seeing photos or even knowing the date of the silver dollar. I'm wondering why you would want the dime graded though. I don't think its value would warrant the expense.

Chris

Hi, I'm not really a 'new' collector, just really got into 'hardcore' collecting. I Have a few coins, i have 2 coins that i would like to have graded. one is a 2000 s Dime, it's in a hard plastic case that can not be open unless your crack it open and i have a silver dollar that is toning, very pretty blue around the edge of the coin then some yellow and green. i been trying to get a dealer to answer my emails, but no one will respond. How do i send these coins in to be graded? i really don't understand the process and how much it will cast, because ngc has 50 different prices

Cleaning Copper coins.

cleaning a copper coin by soaking it in vinegar and salt. then rubbing the coin between your fingers with backinsoda, Will this cause the coin to be turned down by ngc as a improperly cleaned coin?

i did this with a black 1900 Indian head and now its a shinny reflective red just by letting it soak for 30mins... it's very pretty imho.

2000-S dime, is not worth the expense on the submission. Value is around $1.50-$2.

The silver dollar is from what time period?

Morgan, Peace?

As stated, cleaning coins is never a good idea as you run the risk of causing damage, and making the coin ungradeable by a TPG, and de-values the coin as well.

From what you stated, you "rubbed" the coin that was dipped in vinegar and salt, which can cause scratches on the coin.

1988 Silver Eagle.

2000 S silver dime. i was given this dime in 2001. i've seen a few of these floating around that been graded by ngc.

oh yeah, i know not to clean anything that possibly has any value to it.

As far as the SAE, unless you are 99.999% sure it will grade either MS-70 or PR-70, don't waste your money on submitting it.