• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Little Help Please? Large Cent 1839

6 posts in this topic

You can find a price guide at Numismedia.com

Of course those are list prices so you have to take the prices with a grain of salt. Your best prices will come from the CDN or graysheet.

There is an area of concern on your coin though, the reverse at 5 oc, appears to have verdigris?

Of course those are list prices so you have to take the prices with a grain of salt. Your best prices will come from the CDN or graysheet.

There is an area of concern on your coin though, the reverse at 5 oc, appears to have verdigris?

Its very possible this coin has a large amount of tone in the area you referenced. I am certainly storing this coin in a very dry environment to try and halt this progress. It was improperly stored for many years. But I dare not clean this coin, as I understood it oxidation is not uncommon for coins of this age.

But what do I know?

Thanks for your reply, any guess to the grade?

I think it's a commercial UNC, and worth about $250. At that value level, the cost of grading is probably too high, let's say $30, in comparison to the value of the coin. It's like paying a 10% tax, more or less.

Its very possible this coin has a large amount of tone in the area you referenced. I am certainly storing this coin in a very dry environment to try and halt this progress. It was improperly stored for many years. But I dare not clean this coin, as I understood it oxidation is not uncommon for coins of this age.

But what do I know?

Thanks for your reply, any guess to the grade?

That area on the reverse is not oxidation, it is the start of verdigris. To halt it, I suggest an acetone rinse and then put the coin in a AirTite holder immediately after. Verdigris cannot grow in the absence of feed materials.