• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins from sunny South Africa

25 posts in this topic

The top piece, the gold one, looks like it was an ex-jewelry piece? Looks like there might be some old solder residue at 12 o'clock. The other looks like it has been cleaned or polished.

Unfortunately, those are bad things for coins. Hope I'm wrong on both accounts.

yes the gold coin was a ex mount. the only thing about that coin is that it is extremely rare and its just some damage on the rim and the face is still flawless. its one of the rarest coins in South Africa. The second coin has been in that condition for more than 10 years that ive had it

Hi Sparco, to me the 1/2 Pond looks like it would get a VF details grade at NGC. That would still make it worth over $500 USD.

The 2 shillings looks about VF as well but as only 163,000 were minted it is still a nice coin and worth a try at NGC. Good luck and happy collecting!!

let me tell you guys the mintage of these coins

1/2 pond single shaft is unknown, the double shaft was about 10,000

that makes the single shaft very very scares

and you right with the 2 shilling mintage

Sparco, I don't know anything about single shaft vs double shaft, but if it truly is "unknown" then sending it to NGC probably won't do you much good. I would have an expert in South African coinage verify its authenticity first.

i know of one single shaft that was graded my NGC sold recently for R35 000 or 5000USD.

Hi, Stephan! Welcome to the neighborhood. I really don't know anything about SA gold or whether the wagon on your coin has a double or single shaft, but I don't think you can compare this coin to another that sold for $5K because of the rim damage from the jewelry mount. You may consider it trivial, but I can assure you that NGC will look at it very closely since it is their reputation and guarantee at stake.

Chris

Hi again Sparco, the penny looks about vg-fine, I am not sure about what NGC will do with the mounted coin as I am in NZ and have not been able to submit any coins. Finally the 1/2 pond still look like a doubleshaft to me but maybe it needs to be in the hand to truly see it for sure.

Hi all, hope the weekend was a good one.

I'm still waiting for someone to please tell me if NGC will grade my gold coin, dont want to waste money sending it away?

I also collect South African coins.

On the 1892 1/2 pond, even the last picture looks like a D/S to me, not the single one. Also, given that there are no publicly reported specimens of this issue, even if it was a S/S, I would question the authenticity. I also consider it likely that NGC would, though since it is listed in the Krause and Hern guides, it would not be because it is unlisted.

I have no immediate reason to believe it is fake, but the fact that no one else admits to owning one leads me to believe that it is. The NGC and PCGS census list ZERO specimens, though ocassionally it is not complete and they do not include problem coins.

If it actually is a genuine S/S, it will sell for a lot more than $5000, even as a problem coin. You can check the BidOrBuy Coin forum for a recent post.

On the other two coins, I would not bother to send either one in for grading to NGC. The grades are simply too low to make it economical to submit them. You could easily buy those two coins in equivalent or even better grade for the same or slightly more.

Hi Stephan

Both coins will not be graded by NGC, but should receive detailed grading.

The 1/2 pond is not that scarce and are seen time and again on auctions. It does achieve good prices in higher grades. Your halfpond is a definate Exmount and the value is much lower because of it. The coins overall details should receive in the region of a VF detailed grade from NGC. As is it should sell for about R1250.00 - R2000.00. The single shaft halfpond does not exist. Rumours has it that it did excist but went missing years ago in the postal system. It is known as the "menne" halfpond. I have my reasons and is of firm believe that the coin does not exist.

Your 1892 2 shilling is also not worth grading. It will not gain value by grading it. You say that "The second coin has been in that condition for more than 10 years that ive had it"

This seems very hard for me to believe. From what I can see, this coin was very recently cleaned (max: 2 weeks ago) This is sad that somebody cleaned the coin. The 1892 2 shilling is fairly available and I believe way overpriced in higher grades. This coin should reach on sale around R120 - R150. Before it being cleaned it would of sold for around R225.

Hope it is of help. Best of luck with the ZAR collection. It is truly an amazing hobby that will provide you with much enjoyment.

Regards from Sunny South Africa or rather Windy Cape Town

Thomas van der Spuy