• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you recently become interested in collecting a new series?

12 posts in this topic

I'm mainly interested in upgrading ~6 coins in my toner Franklin set and in completing 2 year sets; 1858 in business strike (no gold), and 1893 in proof cameo (no gold). While I quite enjoy it, the finds that look acceptable are few and far between and tend to be expensive, so I find the urge to buy some less expensive material just as a "fun" set. A couple of months ago I stumbled upon a pretty 1940-S Washington in an old fatty greenline NGC MS66 holder. I liked the look of it and bought it. Given that my expertise is in the Franklin 1948-63 field, it occurred to me that I could put together a toned 1940-64 set of Washingtons, predominantly in MS66 with the occasional MS67, reasonably inexpensively and transfer a lot of my knowledge of the "look" of given date/mm from the 1948-63 era. Also, the coins are silver and of a fairly decent size, which I like. I'm not interested in the pre-1940 coins as that can start to get pricy. So, have you recently become interested in collecting a new series? The images are by Shane Canup and I think he did an excellent job.

sc40sWA.jpg

sc40sWArev.jpg

Since I am closing in on completing two additional registry sets, I am currently weighing my options for a new short set that is yet to be determined. Nice quarter!

I have been commited to my Canadian coin collection for the last 3 years but I have been looking for something else for the last couple of months. hm Well tonight I have decided to collect the Statehood Quarters in silver :insane:. I have found that you can still get them in PF69 DCam for a very cheap price and that is just fine by me!!! :acclaim:

I plan on putting together a war nickel set as soon as I complete my silver Roosevelt set. I like them, it's a short set and can be put together relatively inexpensively.

Finished mine last winter. It wasn't as expensive as most might think either. Lots of fun collecting it.

I added Newfoundland to my collection about 3 years ago. It's fun to own a coin that had a mintage of 6,000 without paying hundreds or thousands for it.

I love the Newfoundlad coins!! Not only are the mintages small but they are beautiful coins as well :luhv:

(Not a US series)

If / when I find myself back in the money, I plan to put together a set of Belarusian Bird of the Year coins. The series started in 2007, and issues a 1 ruble Cu-Ni and 10 rubles .925 Ag coin, with a new design for the two each year. They're quite affordable, and I like the quality of the strike and design of the two examples I own.

B0002-850v.jpg

I started a 7070, Well I guess it has been about 6 months ago now that I started it.

Still trying to find those seated liberty dollars. Can't seem find them in the shape I want at the level I want to pay.