• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Assay Commission medals

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone recall when copies of the Annual Assay Commission medals were sold to the pubic in the 1930s?

Thanks!

My understanding is that 1977 medals were the only ones which were officially sold to the public. I've not heard of any of the 1930's being done so; but if some were done so, that would not surprise me too much. This would be especially true for 1931-33 and possibly '34, which seem more common than surrounding years. I haven't been ATS today yet, but you probably want to ask denga/RWJ.

Have you found something in the archives?

A 1939 letter that implies Ross approved copies of Assay medals, then later relaized that is was against mint policy to do so.

(See below. Am I reading too much into too little?)

The folowing letter from Dir Ross to her secretary has me wondering --

"Dear Edness:

"I’ve wired Dr. Howard my idea about the medals. I don’t think anybody is going to raise an issue over those assay medals, but I regret that we did not recall in the beginning that the regulations provided for them going only to the members of the Commission."

[Wyoming State Archives. Edna Kimball Wilkins papers H-81-1. Box 9, Ross correspondence 1936-1946. Letter dated March 6, 1939 to Kimball from Ross. p.1.]