• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eye spikes in 1878-p Vam 38 7/5 posted by rhonda berenne

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Eye spikes in eye

I've just recently purchased an 1878-p Vam 38 7/5 strong, and my coin has 2 eye spikes at the top of the eye, just below the eye lid. I've never read of this being there before. Is anyone else aware of these spikes being present?

See more journals by rhonda berenne

Rhonda,

Check Vamworld.com and go to "Morgan Vams by Date". The eye spikes are not mentioned on the VAM 38 page but the large obverse photo from Heritage Auctions does show evidence of the 2 eye spikes near the top of the eye. If Morgan VAMs are in your present or future, Vamworld is a "must" site for you.

sig.jpg

Rhonda,

Mark is correct. You also have to realize that not every abnormality is mentioned in each listing. Some things that may be considered trivial are not mentioned because the coin has other major markers for identification. In this case, there is strong doubling of "LIBERTY" and all of the stars on the obverse. Had this doubling not been present, then the die gouges on the eye might have been mentioned for purposes of identification.

Chris