• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Didn't take my own advice posted by moondoggy

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Do yourself a favor

Ok, this morning I'm kicking myself for NOT following my own advice and because of it I had to do extra work. Last week I won a "lot" (one Kennedy) at one of the on-line auction houses. I had been "tracking" this coin for a week in advance. They had the photo's of the coin both obverse and reverse. So the day of the auction arrives and I submitted the winning bid. I waited all week for my new Kennedy to arrive as I was sure to be proud to add it to my collection. Well the coin arrived and it looked so sharp. I entered all the info for the coin here on Saturday and since it was a PCGS coin it would have to wait till today to be verified. I received an e-mail this morning from NGC stating the coin was now registered in my set. Only problem was NGC verified the coin as a PF69DCAM and the label on the coin said PF70DCAM. Just great. (I left out a word) So I go to PCGS site to verify the coin for myself (I know) and there it was PF69DAM. Under the heading for verification is something along the lines that state: errors sometime occur when entering info for a particular coin and if you find a discrepancy please contact us. I did and PCGS advised me to send it back to the auction house and have them resubmit it to verify the grade.

I called up the auction house and they asked me if it looked like a 70 to me. Ah right, don't they know all my coins look like friggin 70's. (what a question) What I really told them was I'm no grader I wouldn't know a 69 from a 70 unless it said so on the label. So they informed me they have some ex-graders and they would look at it and see if it really was a 70 or 69. If a 70, they would submit it to PCGS to get it corrected. "But", aw cmon, you had to know a but was coming. It would be easier to just return the coin and they would issue me a refund. Like this particular Kennedy comes around for auction everyday ! So I mailed it back today and am expecting a refund but hoping to get the coin back with the correct cert. # and grade I thought it was going to be in the first place.

So I really blame myself for this mess as I should of verified the cert. # in the first place as there was plenty of time to do it.

So let this be a lesson to all. If you can, ALWAYS check (verify) the cert. # is the actual coin you are buying.

That is also why I am leery of purchasing coins say on the Bay when it is listed as a "STOCK" photo and the cert # is blocked out.

moondoggy

See more journals by moondoggy