• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Holder Walkers and CAC

13 posts in this topic

In a separate thread Jason posted his new beautifully toned Walker in an 'old Fatty' holder.

I recently sent 6 of the 'old Fatty' MS-65s from my "Old Holder" set to CAC. They were all generation 4.2 (6/91-12/92 [thanks Condor]) and all 6 'Passed" with 2 receiving "gold" . WIth patience, one can still locate and put together a very nice Short Set of Walkers in old NGC Fatty holders without barcodes.

Here are results from CAC. I'm working on getting some pics, but in the meantime how about posting some coins that have CAC green or gold.

DATE DESCRIPTION SERVICE GRADE LABEL ID RESULT

1941 Half Dollars Walking Liberty NGC MS65 152307003 Passed

1943-S Half Dollars Walking Liberty NGC MS65 214258003 Passed

1944-D Half Dollars Walking Liberty NGC MS65 232212016 Exceeded

1945-S Half Dollars Walking Liberty NGC MS65 152307009 Exceeded

1946-D Half Dollars Walking Liberty NGC MS65 134738015 Passed

1947 Half Dollars Walking Liberty NGC MS65 159323012 Passed

Andy

I was able to get a couple of quick pictures of the 2 that received the Gold stickers. I couldn't get the photos to correctly show the 'gold' color of the sticker so I attached the golden tag that comes with the sticker.

The 1st coin is MS65 1944-D, followed by the MS65 1945-S

Andy

104074.jpg.898876de67b55fe7f5ffd0fb00f16975.jpg

104075.jpg.69c6b6946f9a9ed5361af8b935656926.jpg

104076.jpg.30c43d6878b821552bdbae96b797065d.jpg

104077.jpg.23b67ddb8adbb524a9ad2d724412840c.jpg

Congrats on the gold stickers. I agree with them on the second one (and yes, they do both have stunning luster).

However, just going from your pictures, I think the first one is accurately graded at 65, due to the spottiness it appears to have, the roll friction on her arm, and the marks on the eagle's wing. A gold sticker means it should grade at least a high 66, right?

Jason you must have superman eyes, I cannot see anything that points to friction. The pictures are too small and blurry to make that determination. I don’t think the first coin is spotty, I think it is the contrast between the luster and the shadows that is the result of the lighting angle.

Considering how rare it is for a coin to get a gold sticker from CAC, my bet is that both are better than MS 65.

Mark, not Superman eyes at all. Look at Miss Liberty's outstretched arm on the first coin. See the darker area along the high points of her arm? That is known as roll friction, and should automatically limit the coin to a 65, just like high point pitting on a Franklin automatically limits it to a 65. Now, whether or not the "roll friction" is actually caused by stacking or rolls or whatnot can be up for debate, but that is my personal grading policy. TomB explained the issue to me, and can probably explain it better than I just have.

I think the picture is too small to make that determination. If roll friction would limit the grade to MS 65 then I would have to make the assumption that what you are seeing is not roll friction. CAC is so tight with Gold stickers, it does not make sense to me that the coin has a problem limiting it to MS 65 . I will say if you had the opportunity to view the coin in hand and determined it was roll friction, then I would say maybe CAC made a mistake. If Tom B saw the saw coin and came up with the same conclusion then I would say CAC definitely made a mistake !! Not a diss to you Jason because you are an excellent grader , the comment is meant to be a plug for Tom B's grading ability . :cool: