• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Shield nickel, Help?

12 posts in this topic

Please let me know what you think, I am very inexperienced in this type of coin but nonetheless it looks like a die clash on the back.

But for me that raises 2 questions.

One, why is there no heavy mark on the obverse?

Two why is the die clash at a 90 degree angle and not 180?

Thanks for your help!

DSC06362.jpg

DSC06365.jpg

Because it isn't a die clash, it's a hammer job. Someone long ago put another shield nickel on this coin and hit it with a hammer. Die clashes are almost always restricted to the field areas of the coin. Notice how the raised stripes from the other coin have created depressions in the 5 on this one. A die clash would not have done that.

Please let me know what you think, I am very inexperienced in this type of coin but nonetheless it looks like a die clash on the back.

But for me that raises 2 questions.

One, why is there no heavy mark on the obverse?

Two why is the die clash at a 90 degree angle and not 180?

Thanks for your help!

DSC06362.jpg

DSC06365.jpg

That's what is known as PMD, Post Mint Damage. Looks manmade to me.

Looks like an S2-8002 with the exception of the 90 degree die clash. You might want to send these pics to Howard at howard@sci1.com. He has always been very helpful to me and his program SNV is fantastic.

Neat coin and I wish you great luck.

Jim

Looks like an S2-8002 with the exception of the 90 degree die clash. You might want to send these pics to Howard at howard@sci1.com. He has always been very helpful to me and his program SNV is fantastic.

Neat coin and I wish you great luck.

Jim

Thanks Jim, sent the email out just now, its funny i had read his site before posting but did not think to email Howard himself.

Because it isn't a die clash, it's a hammer job. Someone long ago put another shield nickel on this coin and hit it with a hammer. Die clashes are almost always restricted to the field areas of the coin. Notice how the raised stripes from the other coin have created depressions in the 5 on this one. A die clash would not have done that.

If that is true (that is 100% OK; I just want to do everything I can to be sure)

I have 1 question

1) Why do we not see deformation other parts of the coin,

1. The obverse

2. The Other parts of the coin its hard to describe but the rays and stars are not deformed at all and the “Clash” runs right under these parts of the coin.

3. As I understand it the metals used in the coin are extremely hard, if one was to hammer the coin with the magnitude of force required would we not see deformation of almost every other aspect on the coin?

I do not ask these questions in anyway to be argumentative but just to get a better understanding.

And if you look closely you will see that it has deformed areas of the rays and stars as well. (Follow the depressed areas in the 5 to the right to where they cross the stars and rays and you will see that they ar depressed as well, just not to as great an extent.)

You don't see deformation of the obv because there was nothing on that side to damage it.

Why don't you see deformation over the entire reverse? Because the main blow of the impact was confined to the one small central area. The hammer blow didn't strike the entire upper coin, tip the hammer so the edge of the hammer hit in the center of the coin. All the force would be in that central area with much less force around the edges. If we were the see what the upper coin loked like afterwards it would probably have a nice nick or dent in the center, and the coin might have been slightly bent.

And if you look closely you will see that it has deformed areas of the rays and stars as well. (Follow the depressed areas in the 5 to the right to where they cross the stars and rays and you will see that they ar depressed as well, just not to as great an extent.)

You don't see deformation of the obv because there was nothing on that side to damage it.

Why don't you see deformation over the entire reverse? Because the main blow of the impact was confined to the one small central area. The hammer blow didn't strike the entire upper coin, tip the hammer so the edge of the hammer hit in the center of the coin. All the force would be in that central area with much less force around the edges. If we were the see what the upper coin loked like afterwards it would probably have a nice nick or dent in the center, and the coin might have been slightly bent.

Thank you very much for the post.

I guess what I was looking for is an equal but opposite reaction some where on this coin, as you said we have to look at the other coin this was “compressed” with.

I guess the only thing left to wonder is why someone would do this... but that is a part of coins that I love. I can just picture some kid from 100+ years ago hitting 2 coins with a hammer just to see what happened. Could he guess that people from all over the country would in 2010 look at this smashed coin?