• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POINTS and COUNTERPOINT posted by J Lloyd Young

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What's the Point Again ? Oh yes he or she with the MOST points....wins !

I really HATE to complain . Before I do I MUST still take a second to thank NGC for the venue and the Registry Set site which I appreciate and fully enjoy :) That being said I too have found some very perplexing point questions as I have assembled my very modest sets . Washington Quarter Proofs 1950-1964 for instance . Most proof coins that are NOT Cameo or Ultra Cameos or SB varieties simply get the same number of points no matter if they are Proof 63 or Proof 67 . Personally ...points aside ...I'd always opt for a 67 grade over a 63 . And I'd pay more too !! In my world it only makes sense for a 67 to be worth more POINTS or any other measure than a 63 all other things being equal .

In this series it's only when you get to PF-68 that you will see a modest increase in points .

Further...does it really make ANY sense that a 1953 Proof-AG coin ( which would only be possible if a proof coin entered circulation and was worn down to within an bare inch of recognition ) is worth 3 points and so is a like new PR-63 ?

In the state quarter silver proof series ( disregarding STAR grades ) a Proof-69 UC quarter of any date is never worth more than 28 points , while a Proof-70 UC quarter of any date is never worth LESS than 336 points .

Thats one HUGE point spread between very close UC grades .

If you look at that from a points-awarded only view you want to ask why anyone would bother owning a PF-69 UC at all .

With the coins in hand it's dang difficult to discern the difference . Both grades are stunningly beautiful and VERY tough to tell apart .

In the Regular Series 1932-1964 Washington Quarter Set I find it astonishing that a 1934-P Double Die Obverse Quarter in MS-65 gets as many points as a normal 1934-P same grade , although I would imagine that the estimated retail value listed on a members page WOULD reflect the huge difference in value between the two issues .

Ask me which one I'd rather have in my set ( if you really must ) !!!

Perhaps some of the more experianced Registry Users can help shed a but more light on the this subject ....being relatively new to this site I find it difficult to understand .

At the end of the day I suppose I'm happier being able to participate in the Registry site than to complain and quibble about points ( OK it WAS fun for a short spell but I'm over it now ) . And perhaps , knowing the fickleness of human nature ( that includes ME too ) , no matter HOW points were assigned SOMEONE somewhere would have a question or an issue or concern . That old saying comes to mind....it's possible to please some of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time !

Have a Great Weekend Gang :)

See more journals by J Lloyd Young