• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Improperly Cleaned... Blindsided posted by JTO

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Improperly Cleaned or Improperly Graded

Some of my most beautiful coins are Improperly Cleaned (problem coins). If you look at my (JTO) 1792-1964 type set and view the pictures of the 1793 wreath large cent and the Capped Bust Half Dollar I think you will see what I mean. I think, in some respects we, as collectors, have lost our way. The grading services have hijacked our hobby. Numismatics is a form of art albeit within historical contexts. With the registry system "collectors" seem to prefer an ugly MS-61 over a beautiful AU-58.

Your posting raised an important question based on the subjective nature of the grading process. The real question is not how we should educate ourselves on identifying the possibility of a gentle cleaning occurring over 100 years ago (one that leaves no hairlines, does not disrupt the luster or SIGNIFICANTLY alter the coin's appearance); the question is how do we get the major grading services to use a more reasonable set of standards.

I have some of the same experiences with the grading services as you...

1909-S Indian Cent ICG AU-58 Details corroded... I CLEANED with acetone and it became a 1909-S Indian Cent PCGS AU-58.

An 1893 Isabella 25c NGC body bag "Altered Surfice" became PCGS MS-63

I really enjoy the registry game and I wish there was more emphasis on the coins in the sets rather than just the holders the coins are in.

John

7742.jpg

See more journals by JTO

1909-S Indian Cent ICG AU-58 Details corroded... I CLEANED with acetone and it became a 1909-S Indian Cent PCGS AU-58.

You cannot clean a coin with acetone, as it is not a chemical which reacts with copper.

But I agree with the overall sentiments of your thread, in general :golfclap: !