• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Presidential Dollar - Series Ending Extension?

9 posts in this topic

One of my latest collecting "addictions" are the Presidential Dollars. I've got all but one to date in PF-69. I know the series ends with Nixon in 2016 but I'm curious as to if that could be extended to Reagan. I did some research this week to try to find out if the set was truly locked at Nixon or if there was a dead President provision.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

One of my latest collecting "addictions" are the Presidential Dollars. I've got all but one to date in PF-69. I know the series ends with Nixon in 2016 but I'm curious as to if that could be extended to Reagan. I did some research this week to try to find out if the set was truly locked at Nixon or if there was a dead President provision.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Welcome to the neighborhood, CF!

I don't know. The way the economy is going, we may have an emperor by 2016, and many of the National Parks will become Imperial Estates.

Seriously, though, so much of the Mint production is based on politics that it is too far in the future to guess about anything.

Chris

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

The Presidential Series ends with Gerald R. Ford.

Presidential $1 Coin Release Schedule

Each President will be honored with a single $1 coin, regardless of the number of consecutive terms he served, except for Grover Cleveland, the only United States President to serve non-consecutive terms. He will be honored on two coins. No living former or current President can be honored on a coin.

Year President Years Served

2007 1 George Washington 1789-1797

2 John Adams 1797-1801

3 Thomas Jefferson 1801-1809

4 James Madison 1809-1817

2008 5 James Monroe 1817-1825

6 John Quincy Adams 1825-1829

7 Andrew Jackson 1829-1837

8 Martin Van Buren 1837-1841

2009 9 William Henry Harrison 1841

10 John Tyler 1841-1845

11 James K. Polk 1845-1849

12 Zachary Taylor 1849-1850

2010 13 Millard Fillmore 1850-1853

14 Franklin Pierce 1853-1857

15 James Buchanan 1857-1861

16 Abraham Lincoln 1861-1865

2011 17 Andrew Johnson 1865-1869

18 Ulysses S. Grant 1869-1877

19 Rutherford B. Hayes 1877-1881

20 James A. Garfield 1881

2012 21 Chester A. Arthur 1881-1885

22 Grover Cleveland 1885-1889

23 Benjamin Harrison 1889-1893

24 Grover Cleveland 1893-1897

2013 25 William McKinley 1897-1901

26 Theodore Roosevelt 1901-1909

27 William H. Taft 1909-1913

28 Woodrow Wilson 1913-1921

2014 29 Warren Harding 1921-1923

30 Calvin Coolidge 1923-1929

31 Herbert Hoover 1929-1933

32 Franklin Delano Roosevelt 1933-1945

2015 33 Harry S Truman 1945-1953

34 Dwight David Eisenhower 1953-1961

35 John F. Kennedy 1961-1963

36 Lyndon B. Johnson 1963-1969

2016 37 Richard M. Nixon 1969-1974

38 Gerald R. Ford 1974-1977

It is NOT locked at Nixon.

The way the law is written is a little vague. The law says the presidents will be honored in the order in which they served in office. In order to be on a coin the President has to have been dead for two years before his turn come up. Once all the eligible president have been honored the series will come to an end.

But what happens if there are living former presidents before eligible ones? Do you skip over the living ones to honor the dead ones so all eligible are honored, or does the series end at that point because they have to be honored IN THE ORDER THEY SERVED, which would imply you can't jump of living ones?

Right now the Mint is taking the latter course and NOT jumping over living president. When the program started the mint issued a listing of when each president would be honored and that list ended with Nixon even though Reagan was already dead. They were NOT going to skip over Ford and Carter. Since then Ford passed away and the Mint issued a new list list that included the date for Ford's coin, but Reagan is still not on the list. If Carter dies before I think it is 2014 he will get a coin and the List will extend to Reagan as well. If Bush dies before 2014 he will also get a coin. Both Carter and Bush are the same age, they are both in their 80's and only two presidents have ever managed to reach ninety, so odds are not bad that one or both of them will die in time to be eligible. Clinton is much younger and it is most unlikely he will die in time to be eligible for a coin.

So the president dollar series will end with either Ford, Reagan, or Bush.

OK from the list and dates posted Carter would have to die before June of 2014 to be eligible, and if he does Bush would have to die before Jan 2015.

It is NOT locked at Nixon.

The way the law is written is a little vague. The law says the presidents will be honored in the order in which they served in office. In order to be on a coin the President has to have been dead for two years before his turn come up. Once all the eligible president have been honored the series will come to an end.

But what happens if there are living former presidents before eligible ones? Do you skip over the living ones to honor the dead ones so all eligible are honored, or does the series end at that point because they have to be honored IN THE ORDER THEY SERVED, which would imply you can't jump of living ones?

Right now the Mint is taking the latter course and NOT jumping over living president. When the program started the mint issued a listing of when each president would be honored and that list ended with Nixon even though Reagan was already dead. They were NOT going to skip over Ford and Carter. Since then Ford passed away and the Mint issued a new list list that included the date for Ford's coin, but Reagan is still not on the list. If Carter dies before I think it is 2014 he will get a coin and the List will extend to Reagan as well. If Bush dies before 2014 he will also get a coin. Both Carter and Bush are the same age, they are both in their 80's and only two presidents have ever managed to reach ninety, so odds are not bad that one or both of them will die in time to be eligible. Clinton is much younger and it is most unlikely he will die in time to be eligible for a coin.

So the president dollar series will end with either Ford, Reagan, or Bush.

OK from the list and dates posted Carter would have to die before June of 2014 to be eligible, and if he does Bush would have to die before Jan 2015.

The wall preventing Reagan from being placed on any denomination of currency is Nancy.

She turned down a push to have the late President placed on the $50 note, as well as the dime.

The wall preventing Reagan from being placed on any denomination of currency is Nancy.

She turned down a push to have the late President placed on the $50 note, as well as the dime.

I cannot find the quote, but Nancy Reagan said that since they were honoring every president on the dollar coin that she would not object to Ronald Reagan being honored on the dollar coin, too.

To add to Conder101's excellent description of the law, it also says that congress can vote to extend the program.

Scott

To add to Conder101's excellent description of the law, it also says that congress can vote to extend the program.

Scott

Yes Congress can, like they can authorize the mint to start producing Morgans again, if they so desired.

Nancy's real objection is to her husbands portrait replacing one of the other Presidents being honored on a coin. This point was most notably made when they talked of having him replace Roosevelt on the Dime. Reagan was a Roosevelt who looked up to Roosevelt as a mentor and I believe he even helped with his campaign. It wasn't until later that he had a falling out with the Democratic party and became a . But even then he still respected Roosevelt.. As Nancy said, he would have found the idea of replacing Roosevelt on the dime to be distasteful. I don't know if she actually publicly came ou against the idea of puting on the fifty dollar note or not.