• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey everyone..

38 posts in this topic

I'm back, sorta.

Back to forums at least.

I've been still active dealing and buying coins over the last few months and just want to get my name out there again.

Some of you know that I've been cut off from a few other forums.

I plan on not having that happen here and I instead plan to engage in a cordial respectful manner at all times through the good , and through the bad.

While I was away from the keyboard(afk), I improved upon my grading skills for 1921- Morgans , Peace Dollars, and a lot of various coins.

I can determine a VF a VG, G , XF40/45, AU50/55/58, and MS60-65 I believe.

If some of you want to throw some at me, I'll be willing to take a shot.

Other than that, life has been great. Glad to be home.

-Jay

Based on what I have seen from your You Tube videos you are a bit of a nut case and cannot be taken seriously. Being a Day Trader myself I really got a laugh at your stock market videos. The question is can you behave here or will you resort to your old ways ?

Based on what I have seen from your You Tube videos you are a bit of a nut case and cannot be taken seriously. Being a Day Trader myself I really got a laugh at your stock market videos. The question is can you behave here or will you resort to your old ways ?

Actually Mark, those are all old video and I am definitely not a nutcase..

I actually want to get rid of all of them just to clear all that from my past. If there are any more, please tell me about them so I can remove them right now.

Thanks

Funny...I am be bopping around Cointalk and I ran across a thread about a gold stater...it was an interesting read and then I got to the end and see the BNB was the buyer for $2300 and is now selling the coin for $3900 on Ebay. Personally if he can get it I don't blame him a bit as basically it graded out higher than expected....but I did find it interesting that he was banned from there....guess that was one of the sites you were referencing (thumbs u

Coin talk

Funny...I am be bopping around Cointalk and I ran across a thread about a gold stater...it was an interesting read and then I got to the end and see the BNB was the buyer for $2300 and is now selling the coin for $3900 on Ebay. Personally if he can get it I don't blame him a bit as basically it graded out higher than expected....but I did find it interesting that he was banned from there....guess that was one of the sites you were referencing (thumbs u

Coin talk

Yeah, actually I don't want to sell that coin, I have it listed higher than usual because I just want it to sit there for people to look at.

Anyway, not important..

Hey did any of you check out my grades in the grading forum? lol how did I do?

Funny...I am be bopping around Cointalk and I ran across a thread about a gold stater...it was an interesting read and then I got to the end and see the BNB was the buyer for $2300 and is now selling the coin for $3900 on Ebay. Personally if he can get it I don't blame him a bit as basically it graded out higher than expected...

That's not nearly as bad as what a well known, book writing, Proof Cameo Franklin dealer does. I know of at least 2 instances where he purchased a couple of DCams for right at $2000 and had them on his site for just under $8000 each.

Funny...I am be bopping around Cointalk and I ran across a thread about a gold stater...it was an interesting read and then I got to the end and see the BNB was the buyer for $2300 and is now selling the coin for $3900 on Ebay. Personally if he can get it I don't blame him a bit as basically it graded out higher than expected...

That's not nearly as bad as what a well known, book writing, Proof Cameo Franklin dealer does. I know of at least 2 instances where he purchased a couple of DCams for right at $2000 and had them on his site for just under $8000 each.

I sold that same dealer a franklin on ebay for 250 and he has it listed at 575 now on his site lol.

Hence the reason I said I don't blame him.....markups are a part of the coin business and if I say bought a coin as an xf raw and it was worth $$$ more when it came back AU then I wouldn;t sell it for an xf price (thumbs u

As I said Jarrett, welcome to the forums. I will give you yet another chance, and so far you have been behaving well. I hope this continues, as I believe you really do enjoy coins - which is something we all respect. I hope in time you can contribute some interesting, educational, and informative discussions to this forum.

One thing I'd like to share about in this thread if I can would be a little update of my transition from a collector to now a collector/dealer hybrid only about a couple months ago:

I made the decision to start dealing(originally part time but now more and more full time) when I felt I had enough confidence to buy right, buy quality, and sell for better. I'd usually go to local shows(even some nationals) and go dealer table by table looking for quality coins that stood out from the rest. I'd then proceed to grey sheet price them, ebay price them(from my laptop), and just mentally I'd also have an idea of how much they'd be valued at. Some examples were 90% silver(where i'd find a bag of halves going for under melt) and most recently, the Gold Stater I recently picked up at ANA. I saw it sitting on this dealer's table(who deals mainly in U.S) all by herself and I had to give her some love by holding her, looking into her eyes, and putting her under the light. *Dealer was also real nice about educating me on the coin and some of his Ancients(Surprisingly knew a lot for not specializing in them!) so our rapport helped me make my decision too.

Once I realized the coin exhibited the qualities I look for, strong strike, great luster, good centering(mainly an Ancients thing), well circular shaped, and good value, I was sold. I later sent that coin to be graded by NGC Ancients and it came back AU with 5/5 Strike and 5/5 Surface. Score!

My eye for picking out quality continues to improve and by studying the ANA Grading standards book and practicing with a fellow board member, illini420 and hearing his opinions on my grading, has really improved how I view coins and also how I value their worth.

I believe the market rewards coins that are of the utmost quality, and if you could cherry pick and find those quality coins(which there are plenty out there at shows and even on eBay) you could make money at this.

And that's exactly what I'm doing now. Believe it or not, and I can have a few dealer friends & collectors testify on my behalf on this, I have been around 90% profitable on my sales thus far on eBay and I only started that operation a month ago. Same goes for shows(either setting up or vest pocket) and I only started doing that in late June of this year. I also find myself attending coin/currency auctions like Heritage and Goldberg's more often than I ever have because there's always a good deal waiting to be found there(and if you're a collector/dealer like I am, you'll find a coin you'll love to hold and love to show off for a real high price at your table or on your website just because it's so darn beautiful)

Speaking of shows, my first show, which was in Ontario, California, I had some major slam dunks turned over 2k in profit for my first show. I sold my Ultra High relief and believe it or not, I bought a 14k gold 141 gram necklace for a really low price and flipped it! Not only covered the table, but allowed me to treat my dealer friend/show parter Glenn H. to some good dinner. I don't discriminate, if the deal looks good, I'm on it! All while having my personal collection that I love dearly.

Glad to be apart of this community, and I absolutely don't plan on letting anybody down this time.

Thanks for reading this.

-Jarett

I sold that same dealer a franklin on ebay for 250 and he has it listed at 575 now on his site lol.

Hmmm, is this the same dealer that sold $3000 worth of certified UCAM and DCAM Frankies to an esteemed board member .... and offered me $800 when I tried to anonymously sell them back to him hm ?

Hmmm, is this the same dealer that sold $3000 worth of certified UCAM and DCAM Frankies to an esteemed board member .... and offered me $800 when I tried to anonymously sell them back to him hm ?

That sounds like the one in the same. I know he's received my last dollar.

This hobby is truly amazing.. I could never understand why so many people tend to strive so hard to destroy someones credibility over videos and or back and forth arguements through past threads,..

Jarret, I wish you the best of luck and one bit of advice, remember the vipers that had fun at your expense.. Most of these guys are little coin collectors with big egos that's all. George

Are you guys talking about Rick Tomaska?

Almost certainly. His prices are hugely inflated (by about 2-3x what you can get the same coin elsewhere). True, most of his coins are high quality for the grade, and he is extremely knowledgeable, but his prices are ridiculously high.

On a related topic, I can't wait for the third edition of his book to come out!

:idea: It seems like he chases every early ucam and then put it on his website for atleast 2x more!!

At the very, very least.

:idea: It seems like he chases every early ucam and then put it on his website for atleast 2x more!!

At the very, very least.

Strangely enough, when he offers to buy a coin from you, the offer is invariably a fraction of what you paid HIM for the coin just a couple of years prior.... hm

Of course, it could be mere coincidence, but that was my experience with four coins that I tried to sell back to him on behalf of a client a few years ago.

Jay/Jarett , Welcome Back . It seems the coin bug bit ya . From the wording in your new posts , there are more coin terms that usually start appearing well after someone starts studying this field/hobby/business . I kind of thought that you might have been cursed with youth, intellect ,and ego ...not insanity . Those are not bad qualities , just together...they require more self-control for posting on a chat board .

I post less , now, because I have been learning how to avoid stepping on fragile egos ....I hope to not come across in written form as 'holier-than-thou' as I am not perfect either .

You will still find some rather 'opinionated' posts here , as well as factual , but for the better ... there are generally good posts where knowledge and worthwhile information can be gleamed , in spite of the posts full of the 'me-me-me' stuff .

What I hope to read from your posts , and take this with a grain of salt -as the saying goes- , will be where you have learned something and want to share this , whether I or anyone else already knows the subject or not .

BTW , members here are from just about every corner of the planet , so posts are going to interpreted in as many different ways due to differing local ways of looking at things from each individual reader....try to avoid assumptions , if possible . I know it drives me nutz sometimes when I try to read ambiguous replies and often wonder just how bad my comments get mis-read as well .