• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slim Pickings posted by Jackson

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

collectors are holding back?

I haven't been buying many top quality coins for a while. The simple truth is that for the sets I'm building, there just haven't been that many "stand out" coins for sale. I have built on some smaller sets and picked up a few odds and ends here and there.......

First, I just sent a submission with my limited edition 1935-2010 Canada proof commem set. Secondly, I purchased the regular issue 2010 Canada proof set and when those arrive I'll send in the 10c, $2 and bimettalic ship coin in for slabbing so that I can add them to my sets.

I've purchased about 5-6 smaller gold coins but I've also removed all of my gold coins from the registry. Maybe I need measuring for a tinfoil hat but some of the things that are happening in our country have made me a bit cautious. I don't know if anyone noticed but hidden in the healthcare bill was a stipulation that all purchases/sales of precious metals over $600 now have to be reported to the government. It makes me wonder if they are simply preparing for another 1933 type of gold confiscation again--and this bill includes collector coins as well as bullion. Why it was hidden in the Healthcare bill has me scratching my head ( just like the HealthCare rationing panels DO really exist--they were just hidden/established in the "stimulus" bill).

Anyhow, enough of running off topic, just a friendly caution to my friends here about showing off your holdings--you never know what is coming next in our upside down world.

I am excited about the upcoming Goldberg's auction though !!!! The catalog looks great and there are at least 5-6 really attractive top-pop coins that have me salivating. The biggest issue will be trying to decide on which 2-3 to bid on since I can't afford to put firm, winning bids on 5 or 6 coins ( and hopefully I won't get shut out by biddding on just 2-3 and getting outbid on those).

Also, a question if anyone wants to PM me with some info--I have found that my 1962-D Franklin has a BOLD repunched mintmark. There is no record in either Cherrypickers/Fivaz or anywhere I've looked of this variety but there is NO DOUBT that this is what I have in my possesion. I'm not hoping that it is a rare, valuable coin--but it would be pretty cool to be credited for discovering a new variety ! I'll post a picture in another journal once I can get a clear close-up of the repunched "D/D"

Finally, I've continued to add to my Barber half set...I even broke down and got about 15 of them slabbed. I haven't listed it here at NGC because I used the other registry service for slabbing and didn't want to list the set here when all of the coins were in the other holders--just trying to be respectful. Here's the latest acquisition..an easier date 1904--if you remember I'm trying to build the set with coins graded Fine 12 to Extra Fine 40--no Goods and nothing AU or BU..just a "FINE" set...

7726.jpg

See more journals by Jackson