• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help ID my wife's medals

8 posts in this topic

My wife has two interesting medals from her dad's estate that she is considering selling and I have volunteered to try and find out more about them.

Yes, it's true, I am the perfect husband... :grin:

Here is the first medal:

lifesaving-full-1a.jpg

lifesaving-full-2a.jpg

The medal has LEUTZE DEL. and ELLIS SC. inscribed.

My limited research implies that it is a United States Lifesaving medal.

Judging by the size and weight (66mm and 119 grams) this may be a Julian LS-1 or LS-2.

Onto the second medal:

LW-1a.jpg

LW-2a.jpg

Inscription is NAPOLEON III - EMPEREUR and signed "M. Ponscarme F" on the obverse and EXPOSITION UNIVERSELLE DE MDCCCLXVII A PARIS RECOMPENSES on the reverse with L.W. FAIRCHILD in the center.

It resembles this medal:

http://maxentius.lamoneta.it/PagineMedaglie/EspUniv1867.htm

L.W. Fairchild was a company that manufactured fancy gold fountain pens. That's about all I know about this.

Any info on either of these medals would be greatly appreciated.

The first is a national medal, a so-called "shipwreck medal". The scroll would have been inscribed with the name of the recipient.

"These medals were struck for presentation to officers of vessels of foreign nations, as an acknowledgment of their services, in saving the lives and property of shipwrecked Americans."

I will guess ca. 1850?

The first looks like a lifesaving medal, which were typically awarded to those who played an important role in either saving someone from drowning or from a stricken ship. Very cool.

The first is a national medal, a so-called "shipwreck medal". The scroll would have been inscribed with the name of the recipient.

"These medals were struck for presentation to officers of vessels of foreign nations, as an acknowledgment of their services, in saving the lives and property of shipwrecked Americans."

I will guess ca. 1850?

Excellent info James, much appreciated.

Chris - Excellent info on the second medal.

Nice having smart friends... :whistle:

Very cool.

Agreed that it is very cool. The thing is massive too, if it was gold I would be a rich man.

Oh wait, it belongs to my wife.

And if she is a good woman, you are still a rich man.

Good point.

Any woman who can put up with me for 25 years is not merely good but approaching sainthood. :grin: