• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgans

4 posts in this topic

Just pawing around in my junk silver box.

I don't know about every collector, but I suspect many have a junk silver box. Mine is filled with an assortment of coins from many sources. Some are from my change. Yes, I look at my change and about once a year find a silver coin.

Foreign coins make up about a quarter of the contents. I've only taken the time to identify that they have silver content. Most are circulated and some like an 1871 Canadian Dime are nearly impossible to identify.

About half of the box is Kennedy half dollars from 1964 to 1970. Again circulated and again not really worth the effort to grade, catalog or even sell. Some of these are mine and some are from my father.

The other quarter of the box consists of circulated coins from my fathers collection. I inherited this 30 years ago and until this past weekend didn't even look at them. Imagine my surprise to find 10 Morgan dollars along with two dozen Peace dollars.

All were lightly circulated and some had obviously been cleaned at one time. The cleaning was obvious even to a novice like me. None of the Morgans are rare, but I thought that I'd list them just for the fun of it.

1 1878 with 7 tail-feathers estimated condition AU53 (cleaned)

1 1880-O estimated AU55

1 1883-O estimated AU55

1 1885-O estimated AU55 (cleaned)

4 1896 with two estimated AU55 (one severely cleaned with no cartwheel) and two estimated AU53

1 1921 estimated AU55

1 1921-S estimated AU55 (cleaned)

Maybe, I'll take some time and do some pictures some day.

Have a great week,

Phil

See more journals by pnunemacher

Welcome to the forums...I don't have a junk box of silver but I do have a junk box of just about everything else.....rolls I have opened and put the sigles into 2X2's, mint set coins still in the cello's, Ikes, tokens....you name it (thumbs u

Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

My junk box is pretty huge - a large grey plastic container, but it's mostly NOT coins lol !

It has things like old cracked out slabs, magazine scraps and cutout articles, weird old coin holders, maybe a few old damaged empty albums, etc. About once a decade, I go through the junk and end up disposing of most of it, but some of the stuff I digitize, like the old articles I'd like to keep.

Neat OP!

Thanks to both of you for the welcome.

I've been cleaning house lately which brought up the topic of the post. Last week I took over a hundred dollars in old Kennedy halves to the bank. All were the non-silver type and all were circulated. Old circulated is getting cleaned out with a few exceptions.

I just can't seem to bring myself to getting rid of my original penny collection. I started this when I was about seven. Even if it isn't valuable and has gone through several folders over the years I just can't.... Currently it is in an old Dansco folder that is held together with tape.

Anyway, everything else is either going to the bank or into the ol' junk silver box.

Phil