• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insensitive Basta$%s posted by 9sec93lx

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Hate the term "Body Bag"

I can't hold my tongue any longer. Try as I might, todays journals include a reference by a former "Navy man". Of no less than 5 times in 3 paragraphs, the term "Body Bag" applied to a mere coin. Having had a very close friend of our family come home from a tour of duty in a "Body Bag".

All I can say is it is a grievous insult to all our soldiers and military families. To throw about the term cavalierly like that.

Being in the Navy from'76-'82 apparently you never had one of your friends put in one. I hope to God you never do either!

I propose to all you readers in NGC land to come up with a more suitable term for your cleaned/scratched/holed/ etc. coins.

An apology to all the military families out there who have sons and daughters fighting today and in the past wouldn't hurt either.

Tommy

See more journals by 9sec93lx

I am truly sorry that you were offended by my post and I am also sorry about the loss of your family friend. Disgracing the troops was the farthest thing from my mind when I wrote this journal. Fortunately, I did not see live combat while I was in the Navy, but I was prepared to fight if and when the call came The term I used to describe an un-gradeable coin is a common name used to describe un-gradeable coins. I currently have a friend who is in Afghanistan and I pray that he makes it home safely. I will edit my post and remove the offending references. Once again, please accept my sincerest apology.

Gary

I don't think the use of the term is insensitive at all...I also served in the US Army and was in Desert storm with the 1/27 FA BA and the term Body Bag has been in use outside of the military for a long long time...this isn't an armed forces term and it's use in coin lingo should not offend anyone....but you are entitled to your opinion of course. hm

I don't think the use of the term is insensitive at all...I also served in the US Army and was in Desert storm with the 1/27 FA BA and the term Body Bag has been in use outside of the military for a long long time...this isn't an armed forces term and it's use in coin lingo should not offend anyone....but you are entitled to your opinion of course. hm

Agreed, as a current service member i have never even thought about the term body bag as anything other than a coin term, its not meant to be offensive at all just a term used in the industry.

-PFC Bega

409 EN CO

I think it's interesting that you some how feel this is some kind of special insult to the military or that it should somehow offend them more than anyone else. A body bag is a body bag. They put everyone in them from cops to crackheads (and yes, even fallen soldiers). While I've never served, I've had family in WWII, vietnam, and Iraq (3 generations and 3 wars) and by the grace of God they all came home. I can't remember ANY insult against our troops on these boards.

CS - Grow some and "Get over it"

I am sick of the Politically correct B .. S ... in this country.

I also have a right to offend anyone I wish, however, the word "bodybag" on this forum is NOT offensive to anyone with any common sense.

MM

Hate the term "Body Bag"

I can't hold my tongue any longer. Try as I might, todays journals include a reference by a former "Navy man". Of no less than 5 times in 3 paragraphs, the term "Body Bag" applied to a mere coin. Having had a very close friend of our family come home from a tour of duty in a "Body Bag".

All I can say is it is a grievous insult to all our soldiers and military families. To throw about the term cavalierly like that.

Being in the Navy from'76-'82 apparently you never had one of your friends put in one. I hope to God you never do either!

I propose to all you readers in NGC land to come up with a more suitable term for your cleaned/scratched/holed/ etc. coins.

An apology to all the military families out there who have sons and daughters fighting today and in the past wouldn't hurt either.

Tommy

See more journals by 9sec93lx

I am from a military family, and to hear the term "body bag" as we use it in numismatics does not offend me. And my family has experienced loss in combat, though it was long before my time (World Wars I and II).By the way, the term was not first used by the grading services, but rather by collectors.