• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which to buy - 2010 Silver Proof America Quarters or all 14

10 posts in this topic

Happy Labor Day Weekend folks! This is maybe the second time I have posted on the coin side. I just wanted to ask for some advice. I am trying to decide whether to buy four sets of the Mint Silver Proof America Quarters set ($32.95 x 4) or buy two sets of the 2010 All 14 Coins Mint Silver Proof set ($56.95 x2)

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=15252&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=45005

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=15253&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10211

Say I wanted to sell them in twenty years, which would be the better investment for my money? hm :

Certified grades usually spike in price especially for PF70 coins, but then fall to earth the following year or so. I would not expect a significant appreciation in value over twenty years. There are simply to many of them. The US mint may try to slip a Proof Washie in with a special set that has a smaller mintage.

What some folks do, is buy a hundred or so sets, submit to NGC hopefully get 10-15 PF 70 specimens, sell those immediately at a premium to all the hungry folk at EBAY, then sell the PF69 just above cost, and keep a couple gem for themselves. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes you get your hat handed to at the "nothing but 69" door.

Good Luck

OP

Say I wanted to sell them in twenty years, which would be the better investment for my money? :

Actually neither is probably a good investment. Proof sets have had a very poor track recond when it comes to holding their value, let alone making a profit for their owners. It seems like once a set is issued the collectors who want them buy during the year of issue, and very little new blood seems to come into the Proof set market that could push up prices. The best thing these sets have going for them is that they contain silver coins.

Between the two options, I'd go with the complete Proof set. As a dealer I had some of the quarters only sets, and I could hardly give them away. The collectors won't buy them, and the dealers in my area would not buy them even when I offered them at 20% below the Gray Sheet (wholesale) bid price. I finally blew them off at a FUN show (large Florida coin show) at 25% in back of bid. The complete sets often sell for something like 10 to 15 percent in back of bid with no problem.

Thanks for the replies. Before this morning, I did not know what a PF70 was. I was not planning to get them graded, so maybe I will just buy two 2010 America Parks Silver Proof sets -one for myself and one for my son, without hoping for financial appreciation. Just something nice to look at.

if i buy any of the proof state quarters in original mint packaging from the mint or secondary market

how do i tell the difference between the silver proofs vs the clad proofs just by looking at them through the packaging??

if i buy any of the proof state quarters in original mint packaging from the mint or secondary market

how do i tell the difference between the silver proofs vs the clad proofs just by looking at them through the packaging??

...just weigh them. the silver will be heavier. :popcorn:

The clad sets are in blue packaging, and the silver sets are in red packaging.

Between the two I MUCH prefer the silver sets to the clad sets. The silver coins are brighter and more attractive than the clad coins.
In my experience, I have to agree with Bill 100%. The silver coins, they just look much more impressive. There's something about the silver that just makes the mirrors deeper and the frost thicker. Maybe it's just Bill and myself, but that's how I feel about them.

I do not collect any of these coins but I would vastly prefer the silver over the clad proofs. Financially, I expect the clad proofs to go absolutely nowhere. The silver I expect to perform better but still do worse than bullion given current premiums.