• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC extremely consistent.

Consistent  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Consistent

9 posts in this topic

Over the last 6 months, I have sent to NGC 25 commems for grading. All were raw and cracked out of NGC holders. Of course, I was hoping for a few up grades. Well, NGC graded 95% of the coins the same, no downgrades and two 1 point upgrades, which merely paid for the submission fees. While I am not really pleased with the outcome, I must congratulate NGC for being extremely consistent.

I would like you to poll your experiences in the last 6 months.

TRUTH

TRUTH? Did you say something? I can't hear you. . .

(Kidding)

Hey! Don't BLOCK ME. That would hurt my feelings. Now, regarding NGC I too have noticed a marked consistency that is pleasing. I just had returned yesterday some raw Morgans that all graded out PL with the grades I suspected other than one I had not rinsed well and had marginal dip residue and thus was bagged for "Improper Cleaning".

And, as Greg pointed out, their return is close enough to set a clock too- 40 days from my Post Office to NGC and back to me.

Oh, I voted "NO" on both 'extremely tight' and extremely loose' scenerios. NGC is neither to me or it would be a contradiction to the first question posed.

From what I have seen, I believe they are very consistent. That's what I want from a grading service. Any insufficiently_thoughtful_person can put an MS65 in an MS63 slab and point to the "premium" prices their slabs bring. That's a game which only fools the stupid. What I want is an MS65 in an MS65 slab all the time.

Here is a recent experience with NGC (so recent the coins haven't made it thru the mail back to me yet). A Franklin that was in a PCGS PR65 slab. It was a stupid grade for the coin. Nice cameo and flawless surfaces. I cracked the coin and submitted it to NGC. It's now a pop 1 PF69 (with a few PF69 cam/ucam). Why was the coin in a PR65 slab to begin with? The original submitter got screwed big time. However, some grading company can point to "premium prices their slabs bring". I'm sure the original submitter will be happy knowing that...well that and the fact they left $200 on the table by using a grading service more worried about their price standing in the marketplace than getting the coin grade correct.

With NGC the coins usually grade what I think they will grade or at the worst one point different. They aren't all over the map. VERY few bodybags that I don't agree with or can't see the login with. They do happen, but not with alarming frequency.

One of the things that I really like about NGC is that they are willing to step up to the plate and assign a monster grade to a monster coin. No games needed to be played. No artificial grade limits. Now that's not to say that I like NGC because they give me grades. They downgraded a STUNNING Barber dime and bodybagged 2 other coins on my invoice of 5 coins. They give me nothing!

As for being too tight or too loose. I don't believe they are too tight. However, according to practically every copper collector I talk with, NGC has tightened up their grading on copper. I think they are a little tight on the * designation. I hear from dealers a lot that they have to resubmit the coin for designation review because the coins don't seem to make the * the first time thru.

Too loose? On some coins they are. On the MS70 grade they are a little too loose. I think they can be a little bit loose on modern proofs. I find their grading on modern mint state coins to be on par with PCGS. On classics, I think they are fine and realistic.

I Just got grades back from ngc and they were all within one to two points on what I graded them at. One coin was a 1909 s vdb penney that I had submitted one time before and it was bagged for cleaning,this time they graded it vf25 laugh.gif Needless to say I was very happy about that. ANACS is the service I have no idea what grade they will give and I have no idea what grade if any they will give me! sign-rantpost.gif Needless to say all my business now goes to ngc! Jerry Pawnworld

I find them so. I find their grading credible and repeatable. NGC sees my submissions much as I do, and the service I've received has been perfect. That's about all one could ask.

Welcome to the boards, pawning_coins!

I'll just say that NGC generally does not grade to my standards on copper (not conservative enough). However, they do seem very consistent within what I perceive as their standards. But I will also state that "consistent" to me would be within one point either way all the time. I am totally convinced that no grader, and no service, could ever be 100% consistent to the point. In fact, I think 75% consistency to the exact point grade would be phenomenal.

James