• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possibly the nicest 1963 Franklin in existence

43 posts in this topic

I don't usually like to speak in hyperboles, so I am being completely serious when I say this may be the nicest 1963 Franklin in existence. It was graded MS-65FBL by NGC (one of 17, with only one graded higher at 66FBL). I haven't seen the 66FBL, but odds are that it is not toned quite so beautifully as this one. Why this coin did not get a Star is beyond me.

As many of you know, finding attractive toners on the 60's era Franklin's can be extremely difficult. Mint sets of this era were not made of the cardboard which produced so many fine coins of the late 50's. Toners from the 60's generally come from three sources - envelopes, albums, and rolls. Skyman has a very nice example of the envelope toned 1963; I believe my new coin was an album piece.

1963 Philadelphia mint Franklins are also generally very weakly struck. Despite the relatively high mintage, finding FBL pieces is very difficult. It is one of the hardest in the series, although not quite as hard as the 1961 or 1962. Finding this date with gorgeous toning and FBL is quite a feat.

When I saw this one on Teletrade, I knew immediately that I had to have it. I PM'd Shane and Sy asking for their advice - Sy had already seen it and was planning to bid on it himself. He graciously backed out and let me go for it on my own, for which I thank him many times over.

I am very proud to add this coin to my set:

c29142018-a.jpg

Congratulations Jason! That is a LOVELY 1963! :applause:

It may very well be album toned, but I've certainly seen a variety of coins from '63 that have that sort of rich toning that were EOR. Granted they generally had a more noticeable linear feature to them, but I've certainly seen more coins with that rich color that were EOR than were album toned, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was EOR toning. In any case, it is Bee-yu-tiful toning so whatever the case is, you certainly have claims to one of the prettiest '63's in existence. You have reason to be proud of this baby.

One other minor point, Jason, I was contemplating bidding on the coin, I wasn't necessarily planning on bidding on it. I'm very glad that you were the one to get it. (thumbs u

That appears to be a sensational coin, and given that it's a TeleTrade image, I'd bet it's just about staggering in hand!

That kind of toning would indeed seem to have some candidacy for a "star".

Humina humina...subtle toning as such is OK in my book. Very nice Franklin Jason and we'd like to see your images when you get it in hand. Share my friend.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I will definitely post my pictures when I get it, and will post Bob's pictures when he gets it ;)

I saw that one and was on the fence about bidding on it. If the toning was on the obverse i would of put one heck of a strong bid on that one! Still a very nice example.

This is something I don't really understand. What difference does it make which side the toning is on? Why do so many people prefer toning on the obverse? Why is the obverse the more important side? To me, the Bell is the much more attractive side, and so to find toning which frames the bell like this is the height of appeal for me. Besides that, attractive toning of any type is extremely scarce for the date, I really don't care which side its on. The same goes for other series - Morgans for example. A stunning reverse toner will not get nearly as high a bid as if the exact same toning were on the obverse. Why?

Thanks for the comments everyone. I will definitely post my pictures when I get it, and will post Bob's pictures when he gets it ;)

I saw that one and was on the fence about bidding on it. If the toning was on the obverse i would of put one heck of a strong bid on that one! Still a very nice example.

This is something I don't really understand. What difference does it make which side the toning is on? Why do so many people prefer toning on the obverse? Why is the obverse the more important side? To me, the Bell is the much more attractive side, and so to find toning which frames the bell like this is the height of appeal for me. Besides that, attractive toning of any type is extremely scarce for the date, I really don't care which side its on. The same goes for other series - Morgans for example. A stunning reverse toner will not get nearly as high a bid as if the exact same toning were on the obverse. Why?

That's just my personal preference but many prefer an obverse toner over a reverse toner. Same goes for grading, the obverse plays a bigger role in the grade than the reverse.

I've found it much easier to sell coins with wonderful toning only on the obverse vs. similar toning only on the reverse. However, this can also work out to your advantage and a good example is the coin I use as my avatar. It has a mostly golden obverse, but the reverse is killer and I likely paid much less for the coin because of this. Also, the previous seller had told me if the more colorful toning had been on the obverse that he would have kept the coin for his own collection, which would not have made me happy.

Really nice coin Jason...for what it's worth...I also prefer the toning on the obverse of coins and I know plenty of Morgan collectors who will not by a reverse toner...no matter how nice the coin. It's all personal preference and I don't think it in any way has to do with which sides folks feel is more important. I agree with Tom that you can get a lot more coin for your money if you purchase reverse toned coins (thumbs u

I could care less which side the toning is on as long as it is attractive.

Another point is that for certain date/mm, like 1963, getting halfway decent toning is difficult, getting it on a gem Franklin is tougher yet, getting a gem one with really nice toning is very difficult, and getting it on an FBL is exceedingly difficult. People need to learn to think about the stages of difficulty FOR A GIVEN SERIES for getting a coin that is a top of the line coin for that date/mm in that series.

Yes that's a nice one....but the best in existence? How's mine stack up?

Jim, obviously we are talking apples and oranges here with proof and business strike coins. With all due respect, yours is a Lovely proof :applause: but I have several I could throw in the ring if we're talking '63 proofs.

FranklinP63_pr68dcam_1.jpg

They are COMMON compared to what Jason just posted.

I know -- but sometimes I like apples more than oranges...and least we are not talking lemons! Yours looks like a nice second to mine of course....what's that a SEGS PF-67?

Just kidding.

:roflmao:

I know -- but sometimes I like apples more than oranges...and least we are not talking lemons! Yours looks like a nice second to mine of course....what's that a SEGS PF-67?

Just kidding.

:roflmao:

I like both apples and oranges, heck, I even like fruit salad... ;)

Just got this coin in the mail, and it is absolutely gorgeous! On a good day, it could easily be a 66. It is definitely one of the nicest 65's I've ever seen!

I'll post my pics when I take them (not sure when that will be, due to work being insane).

Just got this coin in the mail, and it is absolutely gorgeous! On a good day, it could easily be a 66. It is definitely one of the nicest 65's I've ever seen!

I'll post my pics when I take them (not sure when that will be, due to work being insane).

Send that bad boy in for a regrade and get the star maybe the plus or heck it will go 66! May even go 66 or 65+ and get the star as well.

Send that bad boy in for a regrade and get the star maybe the plus or heck it will go 66! May even go 66 or 65+ and get the star as well.

As to when you post your pic ~tease~ :devil:

As to a re-submission for a higher grade, +, the Franklin is presently in a pronged holder, it was graded not to long ago (perhaps the previous owner felt the same way, let's send this bad boy in for a 66)

FWIW, the reverse is the money side on Franklins for me.............Great pick up Jason and congrat's. I think they are being stingy on stars these days as they also have the + in their arsenal now as a "bone" to throw in lieu of the * on borderline calls. MJ

The reason the obverse toned coins bring more money is that the obverse contains the date and that gives the coin its identity. When you display a set of a given series you normally want the obverse facing out so if the reverse was toned you would not see it. I know for myself I am not really interested in reverse toned coins since when I put a toned date set together I like to see the dates facving out with each coin toned.

Stock, I guess that makes sense.

However, at least for me, and especially on the Franklin, the reverse is the money side. I am particularly interested in FBL coins - so displaying a full set of full bell lines is more important (and more interesting) than seeing Franklin's head 35 times.

I saw that one on TT, and I believed the toning was questionable. This is just my opinion, but I have seen that same type toning on roosies, washingtons, from the 1960s, usually one sided toning, and I have always believed they were AT. I don't believe I have seen but 1 or 2 Frankies toned like that from the '60s, but that doesn't mean it's not natural.

Now don't get mad, this is just one man's opinion. And of course some better images of the toning and coin could make the coin look different.

Nonetheless it looks nice for the date.

As to when you post your pic ~tease~ :devil:

As to a re-submission for a higher grade, +, the Franklin is presently in a pronged holder, it was graded not to long ago (perhaps the previous owner felt the same way, let's send this bad boy in for a 66)

That is a great point but chances are it may have been sent in under the modern tier :). That tier NGC does not award coins with a +. Chances are it is possible the coin may not be a 66 but it maybe a 65+FBL :). Its worth it imo to send it in again.