• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NumisMedia Value and NGC

14 posts in this topic

Why is the NumisMedia Value on Modern coins SOOOO FAR OFF? I love Information (accurate information). NGC does so well on every other aspect. I wish they would use a more accurate price guide for Modern Coins. Some of the modern coins I looked at are listed 400% higher than there actual value. I may be getting a little picky but I dont think it would be that hard to get a little closer to actual value. If u can buy a coin for $20 all day everyday for the last 365 days and a price guide lists the value of that coin to be $80, then in my opinion the price guide is terrible. I would love to see an accurate price guide. However if anyone completely disagrees with me I may be willing to sell my entire Modern Coin Collection for 25% off NumisMedia Value price values. Now thats a deal!?!?

Maybe they're getting their prices from L&C Coins in Coin World.........

2005-S Silver SQ PF70 - CA, MN, OR - $425; KS - $475; WV - $325

Chris

a guide is only a guide! it is not a set in stone price. also these "guides" are writen by different entities some have something to gain and some dont. i havnt found a "guide" yet that matched another guide.

The Numismedia guide is retail and not reflective of the real market value for most coins. Grey sheet , wholesale prices and auction price history over a year period is the best way to determine market value .

A guide should help guide, correct? If it doesnt help guide what use is it. 400% inaccurate... If a car guide stated that a $20,000 car is valued at $80,000 you would call the guide useless trash because it is not a guide at all. Thats all im saying, the Numismedia Value Guide is no guide at all when it comes to modern coins. It would be nice to have an accurate guide.

I ignore price guides altogether for the coins I buy. I only consider actual prices from auctions valid since the coins I buy sell so infrequently. Where there is no price, I simply have to guess.

For US coins which are more frequently boought and sold, I would still use actual prices. In the example you use, generally eBay or Teletrade. Its only where this pricing data is not available, such as presumably on less expensive circulated coins, that I would rely on a price guide at all.

For many modern coins, you can get the "value" by adding the cost of the coin to the cost of slabbing. Thus a 2010 cent has a market "value" of $18.01, although it has a numismatic value of $0.01.

Dividing the "price guide" value by 4 or 5 or 6 is also good.

I feel that part of what killed stamp collecting were/are the inflated "catalog" values. If $100 catalog value is available from XYZ Stamp Co. for $1.00 then the stamps are worth $1.00 not $100.

I would just love to see a price guide on NGC that got its information from actual coin sells not from numbers pulled out of some magic fairies butt. Im guessing you could gather about 10-20 people that post here on the NGC forum and come up with an accurate Modern coin price guide. And could probably done in a short period of time. It just isnt that complicated.

I would expect that US price guides are much better because the coins sell a lot more frequently as the market is far more liquid. Presumably, Numismedia or any other source like it could obtain data from an eBay or Teletrade and publish a publish a price that more less resembles actual prices (like an average of recent transactions) automatically. They would have to pay for this data but they could do it.

At least you do not have to rely on a price guide like Krause or Hern (South African equivalent to the "Red Book"). Admittedly, its an annual source, but I consider those guides to be completely worthless. They both might as well use a random number generator for the coins I collect.

There never has been accurate reporting of market retail in coins. You can get dealer-to-dealer prices from the greysheet. There never will be accurate coin pricing until there is accurate coin grading!

You might not like this answer, but a lot of market values that are listed for modern coins are based on marketing, not reality. If you show a modern collection is worth a whole lot more than it really is, a collector who is not out sell his holdings might be encouraged to buy more. That means that market gets stronger and there is a larger market for certification holders.

The same applies to registry points. I've learned that the really expensive, hard to find collectors’ coins, especially early U.S. collector coins, get shortchanged when it comes to registry points. If I wanted to be king of hill in the type coin area, I’d put all my money into MS-67 late 19th and early 20th century type coins. I’d buy low grade cheaper stuff for the early pieces. Dollar for dollar you are better off buying a 1796 in AG-3 than VF, EF, AU or even Mint State if registry points are your goal relative the money spent.