• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugly toning question. Is this coin a candidate for NCS?

2 posts in this topic

I really want to send this coin to NCS for conservation. It has some pretty ugly toning on it. Currently it is details graded by anacs as "corroded". I am not sure home much of the surfaces are toned, and how much are actually damaged by "corrosion". Even if this coin will still details grade is it possible for it to be conserved anyway as long as the coin would benefit?

5jtdtx.jpg

Your coin would likely benefit from some conservation. I am unlikely to determine from the image just how successful conservation may be with this piece but at the very least the black spots could be lightened making the coin appear more attractive and be more stable for long-term storage. There is always a chance with a coin such as this that the environmental damage is too extensive to grade with numeric NGC grading following the conservation.