• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Help Identify this Ancient

2 posts in this topic

Someone sent images of this coin asking if I can help identify it. It looks like an ancient, maybe Greek, but I don't know if it is an ancient. There is something about the coin that suggests it is a re-strike--as it is too round. But I am not an expert in this area and need some help.

According to the person who sent these images to me, his father purchased it from a street peddler in Turkey sometimes in the 1960s.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Scott

102825.jpg.21dd31920467a8e5173bd5d8ebb82400.jpg

102826.jpg.40e16b9ac413fb0d0869a55d902e9d4b.jpg

If anyone is interested, I found out this is a re-strike. According to http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=169 it's a 19th century re-strike:

Antoninus Pius / Pius on horseback right

40 MM medallion of Antoninus Pius, probably 19th Century tourist copy.

IMP CAES T AEL ANTONINVS AVG PIVS, laureate head left / PONT MAX, Antoninus Pius on horseback pacing right, raising right hand.

Possibly based on (but mirror-image reproduced) RIC 879 and 890 (pacing left, bust right with PP at end of obv. legend). Appears to have been struck (not cast) with only faint traces of a seam around the edge.

As an Ant. Pius fan, I love this huge medallion!

Bought on ebay as a modern replica in December 2007.

I figured it was not real. Since ancients are hammered, not round, and the screw press was not invented until the 18th century,

Scott