• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

While we're on the subject of CAC, one more thing they NEED to start looking at

10 posts in this topic

... is... foreign junk INSIDE the dang-blasted slabs.

Guys, please, whether some of us care about stickers or not,

no matter how great the coin is,

...if it has armpit hairs,

...or chunks of cheeseburger,

...or a piece of toilet paper,

...or plastic shards,

INSIDE the slab, please DO NOT STICKER IT.

Please!

And let's get these polluted slabs back off to the grading services so they could kindly remove their property from OUR SLABBED COINS :sumo: !!!!!!

I can support that standard for CAC.

However, I have not seen a CAC'd slab meeting those criteria. But I am sure you have seen many more than me and based upon the amount of "foreign junk" I have seen in PCGS slabs it would not surprise me to see a couple of those stickered.

I agree with you James about foreign material in slabs.

foreign-matter.jpg

This is one of the things I ensured didn't happen when I was at DGS.

I don't feel it's CAC's place to not verify these coins though. I don't think a collector who looks at his/her coins would send a coin like the one above to CAC anyway. I did return the coin above to PCGS and wasn't happy with the result. They removed the foreign material but a spot remained and so did the grade.

DSC_0014-1.jpg

... is... foreign junk INSIDE the dang-blasted slabs.

Guys, please, whether some of us care about stickers or not,

no matter how great the coin is,

...if it has armpit hairs,

...or chunks of cheeseburger,

...or a piece of toilet paper,

...or plastic shards,

INSIDE the slab, please DO NOT STICKER IT.

Please!

And let's get these polluted slabs back off to the grading services so they could kindly remove their property from OUR SLABBED COINS :sumo: !!!!!!

CAC grades the coin not the junk that might wind up in the slab .

I see no reason what so ever for CAC to take that into consideration when they certify a coin. I believe PCGS and NGC will reholder a coin for free if it has foreign material in the slab regardless of if you are a member of either service . If you have junk in the slab send it back for a re holder .

I see no reason what so ever for CAC to take that into consideration when they certify a coin. I believe PCGS and NGC will reholder a coin for free if it has foreign material in the slab regardless of if you are a member of either service . If you have junk in the slab send it back for a re holder .

Mark, please consider that by rejecting slabs with "junk" in them, CAC might be tangentially encouraging collectors to follow your suggestion, and get them reholdered. I honestly believe that there are some collectors who never even realize that there's junk in slab, and CAC could bring this to their attention.

While much of the extraneous "junk" found in slabs is innocent in nature, some foreign materials will cause a chemical reaction on a coin's surface. So, why take a chance?

Ultimately, I wish both grading services would clean up their act. I am truly astounded by how many slabs I catalog with junk in them (and I'm not referring to the coin, either).

Mark, please consider that by rejecting slabs with "junk" in them, CAC might be tangentially encouraging collectors to follow your suggestion, and get them reholdered. I honestly believe that there are some collectors who never even realize that there's junk in slab, and CAC could bring this to their attention.

While much of the extraneous "junk" found in slabs is innocent in nature, some foreign materials will cause a chemical reaction on a coin's surface. So, why take a chance?

Ultimately, I wish both grading services would clean up their act. I am truly astounded by how many slabs I catalog with junk in them (and I'm not referring to the coin, either).

I had a PCGS $ 5 MS 63 Indian that had a piece of hair in the slab . You could only see it at certain angles. I agree that there needs to be better quality control from TPG’s. Maybe if this issue was brought to the attention of CAC they would consider a disclaimer about certifying coins with foreign material in the slab.

I had a PCGS $ 5 MS 63 Indian that had a piece of hair in the slab . You could only see it at certain angles.

Interesting that you would bring that up. In my quest for hairless slabs, I discovered a weird phenomenon about PCGS slabs that does not carry over to any of the NGC slabs. If a PCGS slab gets a fine scratch on it, then when you are examining the coin under a lamp, that scratch casts a thin shadow on the coin that looks exactly like a dark hair!. However, you'll find that as you move or tilt the coin around under the lamp, the "hair" moves with it.

I realized this once when I was cataloging a coin and thought it had a whole wad of hairs inside it. It was an optical illusion, however, with multiple scratches casting multiple hairlike shadows.