• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit Draped Bust in a Counterfeit Pronged Holder?

21 posts in this topic

This coin just does not look right, but it is in a pronged holder. Is the holder bad too?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330461179783&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Hmm.... it checks out on the NGC census, and the coin appears to be the same.

What am I missing here?

!B0Vu8Qw!Wk~$(KGrHqJ,!jgEw45nNsuoBMZ-8kFT-g~~_12.JPG

!B0Vu3bw!2k~$(KGrHqN,!g0Ew5CUKk7SBMZ-8SUoVw~~_12.JPG

!B0Vu6!gEWk~$(KGrHqN,!h0Ew5M8dgB)BMZ-8bjMuQ~~_12.JPG

I have seen XF flowing hair's with just one side worn as such, but never both sides...perplexing.

At the time of minting, the coin blanks were very crude and still being adjusted by hand file.

What do you not like about the coin ??

The obverse especially looks weird. The dentils look strange, and the whole feel reminds me of Chinese coins. Plus the wear pattern looks unusual for an EF-40.

It may be perfectly fine, but it didn't look right to me.

It is Overton 109a...the reverse die is rotated to the point that the eagle's head was directly opposite the main hair curls on the obverse resulting in not enough metal being available to fully strike up either side. All of the examples I have seen from this die state are struck in this manner. Based on the amount of wear visible on the rest of the coin I don't have a lot of problem with an XF grade--once one gets past the idea that cleaning is suposed to be a reason for a non-grade.

It is Overton 109a...the reverse die is rotated to the point that the eagle's head was directly opposite the main hair curls on the obverse resulting in not enough metal being available to fully strike up either side. All of the examples I have seen from this die state are struck in this manner.

I agree, and also agree the coin is genuine. It is one of the toughest die-marriages to grade in the entire series. Sometimes, a really late die-state example will have practically VF details, yet most of the luster still remaining on both sides.

the label is an older label and not part of the new label pronged holder?????

Looks like a new type (pronged holder) label to me.

To me it looks good, lightly cleaned, and correctly grded considering the striking problems. (The central details are weak/missing, but the rims and stars show very little wear.)

wow i see what you are saying and it is a rare coin, genuine but

weakly struck as per the die variety and cleaned

but man it is one ugly/fugly coin

It is Overton 109a...the reverse die is rotated to the point that the eagle's head was directly opposite the main hair curls on the obverse resulting in not enough metal being available to fully strike up either side. All of the examples I have seen from this die state are struck in this manner. Based on the amount of wear visible on the rest of the coin I don't have a lot of problem with an XF grade--once one gets past the idea that cleaning is suposed to be a reason for a non-grade. [/quote

This makes total sense then. Thanks for your expertise.

The obverse die in 1807 O109a is sunken so much that a coin can be rocked back and forth on a flat table with the obverse down (sunken obv die = convex obv on coin). All 109a's have extreme central weakness, the worst strike of the 1807 varieties. The OP coin is a mid die stage, later stages will have chips at S2 and S4. I have five examples of 1807 O109a, they are all oversize by about 1mm.

The early state of this die marriage is rare as the obv die failed quickly. The Queller 1807 O109 example is now in a PCGS Specimen slab, it has concentric raised lines that are not aligned over the center dot, as all 109/109a's have. A very unusual die pairing.