• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From the horses website

14 posts in this topic

Some of these Ebay sellers are just too arrogant.This picture is from an ebay sellers coin ads. I knew he cracked out coins and sold them with higher grades(MS62 is not a gem) and now I believe he's selling doctored AT coins.But this pile of empty slabs is really telling.

crackout.jpg

I don't put much stock on either companies so-called census. there are just too many crossovers and collectors who buy slabbed coins for safety and then remove them from the slab and put them in albums and whatnot. I bought a couple of Morgans from a guy who was selling a complete collection he cracked out.He included the labels for every coin. One I sent for regrading and added the label in my submission.The other label was wrong.NGC had it labeled as an 1878 7TF reverse of 78 but on closer inspection it turns out to be an 1878 7/8 VAM 33. I read a small article about the fact that alot of the

weak 7/8 TF Morgans were misidentified this way. this one worked in my favor I think.

Registries CANNOT be used as an absolute reference. They only show relative abundance of a coin. They are really only useful on coins which have been submitted in sufficient numbers. In other words, recent years' coins' populations are pointless (for example, the recent thread where someone boasted about buying a pop 1 2010 coin is absolutely ridiculous).

One thing that can be known is that given the large absolute numbers for coins, the issues are not scarce or remotely near it. (I exclude die varieties and conditional rarities from this claim.) Even accounting for duplicates and crack-outs, that still leaves plenty of specimens available to buy in most instances.

Then again, I doubt many people are cracking out top pop coins. If people are cracking coins out to try and sell as higher grade coins, I doubt they are cracking out MS 67, 68 coins.

I have cracked out two PCGS PF-70 coins for inclusion in Dansco albums, and several 69s.

Then again, I doubt many people are cracking out top pop coins. If people are cracking coins out to try and sell as higher grade coins, I doubt they are cracking out MS 67, 68 coins.

He sells cracked out low MS coins.Makes them look good.Sells as all 64-65's.He's also gotten some complaints about his really bad toners coming up AT at NGC.He blames both the TPG's and the buyers. .Here's his blurb from one auction. Funny thing,on "special" coins he'll give you thirty days to have it graded and return it if it doesn't grade.Don't miss it by a day!!

"Returns: 7 day return from the day you receive the coin. Send in for grading at your own risk" (see coin grading PCGS & NGC) below. Why should I guarantee them to grade MS when they can't even get it right half the time, why would you send something in if you thought it wouldn't grade ? For a year and a half I sold nothing but cracked out PCGS, NGC, MS63 and some MS64 Morgans I can't count the times people sent them in to PCGS and NGC and they came back in a bag, one day a 63 the next in a bag. I always took pictures of them in the holder when I would get a nasty e-mail from a buyer I would forward them a picture of the coin in the holder, I can't recall one of them getting their grading fees back ?. BIG SCAM or as PCGS and NGC calls it a opinion. Don't believe send me your e-mail address Ill send you a picture of a couple thousand PCGS and NGC tabs still in the plastic from the holders, I saved them all. Better yet see picture #3 it will save me a bunch of time. In picture #3 is 1075 tabs I have another box in the attic with a little over 900 more and no I'm not going to go up there and drag them out its a mess up there. I list Morgans right out of the MS holder and still not a day goes bye that someone says the blast white ones are cleaned and the toned ones are AT, coin grading is a joke at best.

"AT? or Natural? : This one I love, natural as to toned in a bag? paper roll? is it magic cloth from the bag ? or magic paper from the roll ? NO its the chemicals that are in the cloth and chemicals that are in the paper that tone the coin not the bag or the roll. They tone from people throwing them in a drawer, a shoe box, coin albums, wrapped up in a rag, and on and on and on."

"Coin Grading PCGS & NGC Take 3 or 4 commons cut them out of PCGS or NGC holders and send into the same grading company to be graded. If you get 2 back with the same grade as before your doing good, chances are you will receive a couple back in a bag. Take pictures of the coins in the holder before you send them in, they still won't refund your grading fees but at least you can question them why one grade one day and a differnt one the next. If you want graded coins buy graded coins. "

I didn't research this seller. Just reacting to your posting. Pretty good sales rap that sums up alot of TPG submission problems. I have no way of knowing the truthfulness of his claims, but I wonder just how far off this seller is when he comes clean about crackouts and resubmission results.

That's an awful lot of first tier TPG slabs in the pics. Hey, probably just a rap to induce buyers for mid MS coins. But the rant seems very similar to comments often encountered in various postings.

I believe the solution is education and experience and not relying on a TPG for the final say.

$ilverHawk